Takamine Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is it on the Club or the Group to bring the crowd?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:50 am 

Looking for comments and feedback on this question. I have been playing semi-professionally for about 35 years or so. I am 50 now. Playing live music has always supplemented my income. For a period in the 90s, I actually made a great living playing music for a living. Flirted with greatness, almost got called up to the bigs, whatever.
Last night I had a show at a place I play a couple times a month usually on the 50 cent wing night. Not a big crowd but about twenty people who were totally into the music, singing and clapping along and buying a ton of alcohol. Good right? At the end of set, the manager comes up to pay me and says. "Pretty slow night. You should do something to bring more people in" Are you kidding me? I tried to keep my cool but instead I say something along the lines of this. I always advertise on Facebook, Instagram and else where. Maybe you shouldn't be playing Beyonce' and Timberlake tonight. Maybe Buffett and Dave Matthews would be a little more appropriate? Maybe you could have the stage cleared of tables, chairs and bicycles by the time the boys and I show up? Maybe your staff could hustle a bit when I see a guy waiting 20 minutes for a waitress when he only has a gulp of beer left in his mug? You don't want me to bring sound gear, maybe you could make sure yours was decent? That's when I started coiling up cables and what not. He wandered off.
Ya know, not tooting my own horn, but after thousands of gigs in various Sh*th*les around the world, I know what I am doing. Does anyone else have any experience in dealing with clueless clubs or bars that want live music? I know it sounds like a rant but Jeez? Tell me some stories people.

Post subject: Re: Is it on the Club or the Group to bring the crowd?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:16 am 

It's up to both, in a quieter moment you could point out all that you do to promote your gigs. Then ask him how much he does? Or better yet, do the homework and show him how little the club does.

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; a couple others

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:15 am 

We have all been there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:39 am 

All I can tell you is
you should be THANKFULL you don't play in Church's
I have done that all my life and some of the stuff they will do------
Well to say the least is
simply amazing
so in a sense we all fight the same demons
Smile and be glad you can still play

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:38 pm 

This debate has raged on for years. There are two places in particular that I play regularly that are completely hit or miss as far as a crowd being there. One does no advertising whatsoever. The setup is weird, she won't even put a sign out front letting people know there is music inside. It's been suggested that she change a few things here and there, but she flat out refuses. So that's one gig where I'm all about the money. I do my 3 hours, get my 200 bucks and get the hell out of there.

The other place is bigger, but it's a real dark, drab atmosphere. Not real inviting, and it's a cash-only bar. Can't use a debit or credit card. That's a killer right there. It's closing in April, so that will be the end of that until someone else takes over and hopefully brightens the place up some.

I have a small following, which is kinda tough for a solo acoustic act, and I play a LOT. I do all the social media advertising until my friends are sick of it. But the venue should take on some of that as well. It's a fight that will never have a resolution or a clear winner. Just keep playing and loving what you're doing. I've had the small 20-person crowds like you're talking about, and they're totally into it, and on top of that, they're buying drinks until I'm done. That's what the owner is interested in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:16 am 

If we are talking to a club for the first time and the owner/ booking agent wants to know how many people we can guarantee to show up, we just say we don't guarantee anything but to show up and entertain. Then we thank them for their time, end the discussion and walk away.

The good club owners that we work with generally have the same mindset. They want us to keep their regular customers entertained and not leave to go somewhere else. Any fans that the band brings is considered a bonus.