Takamine Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:01 pm 

A friend of mine showed me a real-tortoise pick the other day, a thick one, let me play with it. Nice. Kind of completes my SBG.

Anyway, he dropped the pick on the table, said, "Listen." It sounded like a poker chip, with kind of a ring to its rattle. My Red Bear sounds a little like that, and might sound more like that if I'd bought a heavy one instead of medium. Think I will next time.

The heavy Pro-Plecs that Beal has talked about sound somewhat like that, too, and likewise provide a richer sound for the guitar. My old medium Fenders do not sound like that; they make more of a soft rattle, and the guitar sounds lighter and brighter when I use them. Lately I haven't been using them much.

I ducked into the guitar store earlier today, and bought a couple "Dawg" brand picks, the heaviest I could find in the box. I'm on a "thick kick," I guess. They sound pretty good. They don't say anything about their thickness on the pick, but one is about the same as the 1.5mm Pro-Plec, and the other is a bit thicker. I like the feel of the big triangular picks, too, the way they fill your hand.

Post subject: a pick for serious coin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:48 pm 

Here's a Brian May collector pick, a coin for some serious "coin" apparently actually used by Brian May during a concert tour.

and more fun info: Guitar Pick on Wikipedia

Homebuilt Telecaster Mahogany/Maple
Homebuilt Precision Bass (double cutaway tele body) Mahogany/Maple
GRETSCH G5422G 12-string 2019 Maple

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:03 pm 

i just got this pick from a seller on the bay:

very nice and unique sound for arpeggio or single note picking. beveled well and causes no string damage. comfortable and nostalgic. genuine silver quarter from my birth year. could just drill a hole and use it as a medallion too.
normally, i play the rounded edge of dunlop tortex picks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:03 pm 

You guys would probably enjoy the PickNET Web site ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:10 am 

lanaki wrote:
i just got this pick from a seller on the bay:

very nice and unique sound for arpeggio or single note picking. beveled well and causes no string damage. comfortable and nostalgic. genuine silver quarter from my birth year. could just drill a hole and use it as a medallion too.
normally, i play the rounded edge of dunlop tortex picks.

WOW somebody else as old as i am :shock: I have 5 of these quarter picks I even drilled a hole in one of them and put it on a chain---it is for sure a different sound.

I have been playing Bluegrass for awhile and I have 2 of them "REAL TURTLE" picks they are to hard for me to use but some of the serious players that is all they will use----I do use them when im playing the mandolin I'm not rel sure if this is true but i have a pick that is supposed to be shark skin???????? don't know but it is diffrent looking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:17 pm 

In my 40 years of playing Iv'e tried many many pick styles, thickness, shape, and brands. Now I use only one pick. Whether it's electric blues on my 335, strumming my Tak maple 12 string or Martin D-1220, or picking my Tak FP350SMSBC or MARTIN D35 my favorite pick is the Dunlop Rihno ULTEX .73. These picks take a beating and wear hard. Only dislike is the color. You drop them and you can't find them. Maybe it's my old eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:25 am 

I've saved two chunks of wood for several years, originally from a shipping pallet I tore apart, because they were remarkably heavy for their size. Once I tried whittling into one with my pocketknife, but gave up because a) the wood was too hard; and b) I suck at whittling anyway.

This discussion about guitar picks got me wondering about those chunks of wood. My son Daniel likes working with wood, and he's pretty good at it. When he was here a few days ago, I sent one back with him, along with a couple picks for shape and thickness reference.

Daniel mailed me two prototypes. Sanded down, the wood is a reddish color, very nice-looking when parked under the strings of the SBG. Unfortunately the triangle-shaped one broke during transit. The teardrop pick, though, seems pretty sturdy, and it produces a lovely tone response from both my dreadnought and classical guitars.

Because of the fate of the other pick, I've expected the teardrop pick to split any time, but I've given it a pretty good workout, and it's held up well. It's a bit slippery, and I have to be careful not to drop it. I'm thinking about scoring two or three stripes across the grain on one or both sides to improve the grip. I'm afraid holes might promote splitting.

We're hoping that the splitting problem is a result of having "checks" on the outside surfaces of the block, and that the problem will occur less often as he takes slabs closer to the middle. Daniel used his chopsaw for the first cuts, but we'll have to see if we can make the cuts in the future with something that has a finer kerf. He says he used his palm sander, upside down held between his knees, for some of the sanding, and did the rest by hand.

We haven't identified the wood species yet, but Daniel has some suspects in mind. He calculated the density at 66 lbs. per cubic foot, which is pretty dense. Greener wood of the same species might weigh more, I guess.

Daniel's working on another slice from the block. I'm looking forward to trying a triangular version: I think it will be easier to hold on to, and he's going to make one a little bit thicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:36 am 

I had an acquaintence a while ago who was in the pallet-building business and had his own woodworking shop and a number of employees. They used cottonwood for the pallets, a tree that can grow 2-3 feet per year in the right climate. The properties of cottonwood lumber, though, limit it's usefulness in many functions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:19 am 

Cottonwood's not even on our list of suspects. I wondered at the time what this wood was doing as part of a pallet, and Daniel wondered the same thing as he was shaping the picks.

That's a great link you sent, though. "Rock Elm" is a good guess--I think it's one of Daniel's suspects--and its properties as described on the site sound like those of our wood blocks. Maybe the original stick was rejected as a baseball bat, and put in the "make pallets" pile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:29 am 

Takman28 wrote:
WOW!
what can I say but WOW!
Finally got to compare the Blue Chip. . .overall a great feeling pick that was well worth the investment!

I just got my new TP1R 60 in the mail, and I'm amazed. It strikes the string softly but plays it loudly, and slips over the strings but not out of my hand.

I've been experimenting as I said, and have found several picks I like a lot, and several not so much. I think the Blue Chip's a winner, worth its price, which does seem high at first glance.

Also, it seems to be working, collecting exotic picks as an alternative to shopping for more guitars :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

i have been using a rosewood pick for a while.

I need to find a new one I wore it round

before the wood picks I used fender heavy and extra heavy I like the feel and weight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 pm 

For electric guitar my mainstay is Fender medium in the rounded triangle shape. I recently became interested in Snarling Dog picks, and bought a tin each of their thin, medium, and heavy gauges, all of which are great acoustic guitar picks; my preference is the medium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:51 pm 

I find in the last month I'm using several, depending on the tunes.
Mostly I use the D'Andrea proplex, with one edge pointed and beveled. Sometimes it's a regular shaped heavy or xhvy. And for bluegrassy type rhythm stuff it's a tortise pretty heavy pick.

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; a couple others

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:08 pm 

I got in a new wooden pick from http://surfpick.com/. "Lignum vitae," a very hard wood. It was a bit squeaky at first, but now I guess the edges have worn down enough, or my attack has adjusted, or something, and it's very comfortable, and seems to produce a very nice tone. Twelve bucks seemed pretty reasonable. Looks cool, too, stuck in behind the strings when I'm not playing. It blends almost exactly with the ebony fretboard.

A friend of mine gave me a cool tortoise pick--I keep it in my pocket all the time--and that's fun, too, of course. I loaned him my Blue Chip the day after I got it, so never got to play it much. Might just order another one and consider it a fair trade.

Post subject: Re: What guitar picks do you use ???
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:06 pm 

I have two picks I switch between, although not much difference. I use Dunlop Tortex .50 and .60 picks. I went through many different picks when learning to play, and found them soft enough for rhythym, yet stiff enough for when I play a lil solo every now and then. I never thought I would find jsut the right one, but I did. Now, only problem is whenever I see some, I tend to buy them buy the several dozen! LOL Got lucky a short time ago and ran across a music store that was going out of business. I went home with 200 of the .60 picks for 5 bucks.

Takamine EG340C- Hasn't earned a name yet
Ibanez acoustic/electric- Black Betty
Yamaha classical(my songwriting partner)- Brownie, since it's brown. "What can brown do for you?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next