Takamine Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My new "recording studio"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:10 pm 

I bought this Fostex MR-8 off e-Bay, upgraded the card to a 2.0 mb size, bought a card reader and some cheap headphones, and downloaded the owner's manual off the internet. I think everything works.

My friend Harry has one just like it, and he makes CDs that sound very nice. So far my efforts are more uneven and gurgly, though I've done everything but read the directions. You can record up to four tracks at a time (not that I know how yet,) and "bounce" your recorded tracks, ending up with up to eight tracks. Right now I'm just trying to get down a guitar and voice, so I can learn some of these songs I have on paper.

I'm waiting for another mike stand I ordered, because it seems the only way to record the first track, with guitar and voice together, is to use two mikes. Anybody else have/use one of these contraptions?

Post subject: Re: My new "recording studio"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:40 pm 

Not one of those but it looks nice.

Welcome to a whole new world of gas!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:40 pm 

I have an earlier 4-channel version (MR-4) that I picked up dirt cheap when I first started recording some stuff. They work well. Somewhere in the Making Music thread I posted "A Love Song For Bobby Long" that I recorded with it. The manual for mine was a bit cryptic, but good enough to get you up and recording in a short time with little effort. The more esoteric stuff, like how it does multiple takes (what they call VTakes) on the same channel, took a bit longer. I never did (and still don't) use punch-ins. I'd rather just record a whole phrase over than try to correct a single or few notes, and I'd much rather use plugins in a computer DAW for effects. It's a fun little unit, and as T28 says, a whole 'nother level of GAS.

Takamine EF75J #61, EF360SC, TNV340S, GX-200
Collings CJ
and a bunch of plastic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:53 pm 

T28 wrote:
Welcome to a whole new world of gas!

G8r wrote:
, and as T28 says, a whole 'nother level of GAS.

I'm going to try to stay away from that level of GAS for as long as I can! I just wanted something for very basic recording, for learning songs, and perhaps for writing them. I bought a Zoom H2 handheld device some time ago, but haven't figured how to use it. I think perhaps a card reader will help in that case, too.