Takamine Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PT-508 (mid-'90s) preamp replacement
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:52 pm 

I have a PT-508 which is battered to death, but I love its vibe, playability and balanced sound. It has that crisp clear sound that comes with some age and having been played out a lot. Thing is, the preamp crapped out, and I don't want to fork out for a Takamine pre if I can use something I already have.

I have a Carlos CP-1a endpin jack preamp spare. It's purportedly very good quality, and includes a board mounted mid control, which would provide some set-and-forget tonal adjustment. It's very clean with lots of headroom.

My question is: Would the Carlos preamp work with the Palathetic pickup? I ask because the Palathetic does have a unique construction, of course; the Carlos preamp is designed to accept a coaxial cable 'element' (similar to the Highlander) which is that sits in a routed slot under the saddle.

I'm concerned about factors such as

1) The Carlos preamp obviously not having the same compensatory EQ as the Tak pres have for\addressing frequency anomalies in the Palathetic pickup

2) The Palathetic pickup's output being much stronger than regular elements (given those big fat piezo elements) and therefore overloading the Carlos pre's input.

I suppose I could just go ahead and try, but wondered if anyone has tried using their Palathetic pickup with another onboard preamp with any degree of success?

Cheers for any replies/
Robin