Takamine Forum

It is currently Tue May 18, 2021 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What is wrong with my Takamine??? Buzzing like crazy!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:11 pm 

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum, and am also a new takamine owner. As of december 12 i now have a beautiful takamine ef407 (2002) new yorker.

unfortunately, the guitar buzzes like the frets are all over the place! but they aren't. I brought it to a luthier who is quite confused. truss rod was a bit loose.. so tightening it is only to make the buzzing worse... note that the current setup is extremely low to the fretboard and would be amazing if it didn't buzz. the hawaiian koa wood is in mint condition. the previous owner is a professional player and the confusing part is that he is also a luthier... (why not fix before selling) ...

im told that the saddle is slanting forward and that there is some excess space in slot for the saddle. The previous owner (perhaps) put .11's on to pull less on the saddle. the luthier i took the guitar to thinks that putting larger guage strings might minimize the buzzing, but that it is also going to pull much harder on the saddle. if i want to play fingerpick style very softly, it won't buzz. but try playing a chord and even mildly strumming the guitar and there is buzz everywhere. (i like playing without a pick, love it actually, but playing the guitar all the time as if my girl is in the other room trying to read loses it's luster after too long, especially when you just want to hear the sound that you know the guitar is capable of making) If anyone has any ideas beyond leveling frets (that i'm told don't need to be leveled), or a new saddle (which i am already having done, with a new oversized blank to compensate for the extra space), please let me know. I went in to get a full setup (at the advise of the seller) and the guy wouldn't even do the setup because he felt bad taking the money for it, knowing that a setup wasn't going to fix the problem.

thank you everyone, i look forward to any thoughts, questions, or input.

J

Post subject: Re: What is wrong with my Takamine??? Buzzing like crazy!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 pm 

assuming your neck is straight, it sounds like a simple saddle/bridge problem. make sure your saddle is not cracked or fooled with. get a BONE saddle that is the right size for your bridge. "google" guitar saddles; there are a ton of good suppliers that should be able to identify your model and send you the right one. loosen the strings alot then gather them a bit on the first fret or so with a capo. the saddle should pry up or slide snuggly and smoothly into and out of the bridge.

the bone can be sanded on the bottom with coarse sandpaper to get close then medium and find to finish it off. remove spacers if you have them under the bridge before installing new bridge. IMPORTANT: keep it flat and even on the bottom by marking the bone with a mechanical lead pencil up against a clamped down thin metal ruler for a mark, then press down evenly with the sandpaper on a flat hard surface. leave the strings loose so you can slip the bone in and check the height until you get it to your liking. it's pretty obvious where it's a little high (a good chorder) or low for better action but with no buzz up the neck for lead and higher chords. you can get a fritz ruler made for this off ebay for 7 or 8 dollars that should be used on the 12th fret. you can buy takamine sets on ebay but there plastic; no good for a guitar of this quality. if you don't feel comfortable, find a better luthier, even if you have to send it off, i have names. if there is nothing wrong with the bridge, this should be childs play for a guitar man. "google" restringing an acoutic guitar. 90% of the people do it wrong and ruin their saddles in ten years. best of luck.
dale

send pics if you want to dalemccall@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:26 pm 

I thought i would let you know the outcome....

so i had a new bone saddle put on/one that is oversided. the action stayed exactly the same.. still crazy low.. (i didn't know that you just add a stint from the bottom to raise the action on a tak)

anyway, buzzing is almost completely gone... i think it is just coming down to a result of the set up. i actually was reading through the warranty/guide book for takamine and it actually says that fret buzz on a very low setup is to be expected with a tak.. "it is a result of the setup/ not a defect in the guitar" so that made me feel a little better. I'll upload the pics that i have when i get a chance/figure it out.

I also switched from martin pb .11 to .52 to john pearce .12 to .54 nickel strings.. awesome vintage sound and really allows the Hawaiin koa wood to show :) sounds killer when playing slide in open E too! the action is just so damn low i have to really play attention when using the slide... on my other guitar the action is quite high, ........annnd if this interests anyone:

my slide guitar is a "Mayfair" i know, no one has heard of it, even if you google it you get an odd search result. from what i found the guitars are actually japanese made... "ironic" as i bought this guitar for 20 bucks off the street.... (minor warp near sound hole) other than that it isn't in too bad a shape... there are no serial numbers or anything on it, just the number 10 in the sound hole. strange... i found someone that said they made guitars for one year in the late 60's 70's and were also known as "kawai" curious if anyone has any info... i don't think it is worth anything, but i love the sound. Extremely full, especially when playing slide...

the bridge is pulling up from the bottom on the mayfair, it could have been like that since god knows when since i never really fully inspected the guitar considering it was more for my girl to tinker on at first... anyone know how to cheaply fix the bridge? and also, how to extend the life of the bridge as it is right now. i'm just not going to throw much money into it.. although maybe i will .... we'll see.

thanks all

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like all worked out well for you