Takamine Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: [Tsf48c] [Tsf40c] X-bracing differences
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:46 am 

Hello! I have both tsf48c and tsf40c and I've always felt the Tsf40c should be a little warmer (even though it has mahogany back and sides it has a red cedar top which should make the sound mellower and "fatter"), but the difference between it versus the Tsf48c is very big on the lows, mids and overtones and the tsf48c is much more "sweet" and full sounding.

I understand about the overtones differences cause of the rosewood b & s on the tsf48c, but never really figured out why the differences are so big until last week. I was changing strings and I always notice the X bracing on the Tsf48c, never on the Tsf40c.
I've thought about it and realized it's because I barely see them on the latter. I took measure of the distance between the soundhole edge and the center of the X and...voila, forward shifted X-bracing on the tsf48c and regular on the tsf40c!

That's why the differences are even bigger than expected, and why I think the tsf40c sounds thin compared to the tsf48c, although they are almost on the same level volume wise, with the tsf40c being a little bit louder.

Btw, both guitars are more than 4 yrs old and both use same light nanoweb elixir string model.

I found it really curious that Takamine never states this forward shifting info anywhere and decided to share with you and ask if anyone else spotted this before. Didn't find any info regarding this on the internet. Taka could even market it as a feature for the tsf48c I think, as Martin does with their guitars.

I am also curious if it's only mine that is like this, from manufacturing mistake or all tsf48c 's are like that. So if anyone is interested and has a tsf48c, be free to measure it and share too.

Thanks!