Takamine Forum

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Remote Power Retrofit Kit needed for my CTP-1?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:04 am 

Hi there gang,
I just got my Acoustic DI+ this week. The whole purpose of buying this thing was to provide phantom power to the Cool Tube preamp in my TAN 15C. I love the guitar and love the sound of the CoolTube preamp. I think it's one of the finest preamps out there. But I quickly realized that the 24 hour battery life, or whatever it is, wasn't going to cut it for me. So, I ordered the Acoustic DI+. Now, reading the fine print in the manual, it says, "If using the CTP-1, you must install a remote power retrofit kit and follow the kit instructions. See your Takamine dealer or visit Takamine.com for more details."

I checked the guitar and it is, indeed the CTP-1, not the CTP-2 that is in the guitar. So, even if I use the Acoustic DI and attach it to the guitar using the stereo cable and turn on the Cool Tube power button on, does this mean that I am NOT powering the guitar from the DI+ unless I take the guitar in and have an upgrade kit added to the guitar? This would be very, very annoying if it is the case.

Does anybody know if this is correct?

Thanks,
Brad

Post subject: Re: Remote Power Retrofit Kit needed for my CTP-1?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Read this thread.

I don't think it has anything to do with the CTP-1 vs CTP-2. It has to do with the 3-pin vs 4-pin end jack. But I could be wrong. If the "remote power retrofit kit" is just the newer 4 pin end jack then it sounds like the installation is solder free simple.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4218&p=42979&hilit=phantom+power+acoustic+di#p42979

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:15 pm 

Thank you. I've sent an email to customer service. Maybe they can give me some clarification about whether or not I need the retrofit kit and, if so, if it just involves switching out the jack on the guitar.

Brad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:44 pm 

I seem to remember checking into this for my CTP-1 and it involved a metal piece that went in the battery tray to take the place of the batteries so the remote power went through. I cannot find this anywhere though so maybe my brain just made it up. edit.. found it.
http://cf.takamine.com/img/electronics/di.pdf
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:18 pm 

salmonella wrote:
I seem to remember checking into this for my CTP-1 and it involved a metal piece that went in the battery tray to take the place of the batteries so the remote power went through. I cannot find this anywhere though so maybe my brain just made it up. edit.. found it.
http://cf.takamine.com/img/electronics/di.pdf
Dave

Wow! Just what I needed to know. Thanks Dave. You 'da MAN!!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:30 pm 

Well, I got a reply from Takamine customer service today and got the definitive answer to my query. I'll post it here in case others have the same question, so it'll be available.

There are two parts necessary to use the Acoustic DI+ with the CTP-1. There is a little metal jumper that goes in the battery compartment that comes with the DI. I have it, but didn't know what it was. You also do need the newer, four pin jack installed in the guitar, as another member of the forum has already posted here. They are sending me one free of charge. You pop in the new jack and then, whenever you want to use the DI, you replace the batteries with the jumper box. If you want to go back to batteries, just take the clip out and put the batteries back in. In short, both of the previous replies were correct.

Thanks to all who assisted with getting an answer to my query!

Brad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:18 pm 

They sell the 4pin jack on ebay. Should be under Takamine preamps...They have a whole bunch of info there too about the DI
and the hookups.