Takamine Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: EG 523SC & EF 440SCGN
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:20 am 

Hi There, I have a couple of questions please if anybody could advise I'd be much obliged

ADJUSTING SADDLE HEIGHT.!

1) Re- EG 523-SC model, to lower the (split) saddle I've read that you should only remove material from the top of the saddle and not the bottom is this correct..? if so why..?

2) On the EF 440-SCGN model, I've read that to raise or lower the saddle you do this by using the two screws (one either side of the saddle) is this correct..?

I am buying the EF 440-SCGB in the next week and I've read some conflicting views on how the saddle can be adjusted, I believe this system has the CT4B-11 preamp c/w Palathetic PU

Thanks for any replies and 'Happy Christmas' to all

Kind Regards

Alan

Post subject: Re: EG 523SC & EF 440SCGN
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:42 am 

amsmarle wrote:
Hi There, I have a couple of questions please if anybody could advise I'd be much obliged

ADJUSTING SADDLE HEIGHT.!

1) Re- EG 523-SC model, to lower the (split) saddle I've read that you should only remove material from the top of the saddle and not the bottom is this correct..? if so why..?

Yes and no...........The G series Taks that I have worked on have shims under the saddle asssembly which consists of a plastic saddle imbedded in a metal channel with pre-amp wire connected. You should remove or add shims to lower or raise the saddle height. If all the shims have been removed and the saddle is still too high then material must be removed from the saddle top.
Quote:
2) On the EF 440-SCGN model, I've read that to raise or lower the saddle you do this by using two screws (one either side of the saddle) is this correct..?

The screws on the gridge have nothing to do with the saddle and should not be messed with unless adjusting the electronics which is disscussed in recent post by "strummer" viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5694
On the pro series Taks (EF440 included) material must be romoved from the bottom of the saddle to lower. To raise the saddle, or split saddles, shims can be installed but the better course of action is to construct a new saddle(s) of appropriate size.

Happy Holidays to you as well and good luck with your project.

Blues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:05 am 

Thank you Blues for your response much appreciated.

One more question please if I may.

Is the preamp on the EF 440SCGN (CT4B II) lower output than the EG 523SC (TK40) in terms of volume. The reason I ask is that I am very hard of hearing and need to play into my audio interface with headphones connected for me to hear clearly.

The EG 523SC volume works just about ok for me at the moment. I'm hoping to sell on the EG 523sc if I get the EF 440SCGN (NEX). The Nex size, I'm hoping will be more comfortable to play (in the sitting position) being smaller than the Jumbo

Many Thanks

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:54 am 

Hi Allen,
Here is the information on the pre-amps from the Takamine site that is available as you first come to this forum:
http://www.takamine.com/electronics/cool_tube_preamp

The NEX size body is a nice compromise between the dread and OM sizes and has very good volume and a balanced sound. The body depth is less that a dread so it is more couch potatoe friendly.

Good Luck,

Blues

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:34 am 

Thanks so much for your speedy replies Blues,

I think I'm ok now for info, so I will probably order 1 st week in the new year

Once again Wishing you all a 'Happy Christmas and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year'

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:12 am 

Just to clarify, the EF440SCGN has the CT4BII preamp, not the cool tube preamp.

http://www.takamine.com/electronics/ct4bii_preamp

The output of the CT4BII is lower than the cooltube, but still perfectly usable in your application.

regards,

Bruno

http://www.youtube.com/glbpro