Takamine Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cool tube preamp
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:18 pm 

I just purchased the Cool tube preamp for my fp360sc. Replaced the accuracoustic preamp, low output but still sounded pretty good. Bought in 97 I was extremely satisfied with that preamp. The problem I have with the CTP2 is the white noise once you turn the preamp up. I can't imagine any high end acoustic guitar with noise. Also set up with PA can be tough avoiding feedback. I think more time with the CTP2 I can find the frequencies and fix this problem. These issues were not a problem with the accuracoustic preamp. Is there a comparable preamp to the accuracoustic preamp? Is the accuracoustic repairable? Any hints on what I may be able to do with the CTP2?
Thanks Rich.

Post subject: Re: Cool tube preamp
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:23 pm 

Did you buy it new? If so, I'd take it back and see if they can replace it because you shouldn't have that much noise out of it. If you bought it second hand, I hope you got a deal...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:16 pm 

Bought it new sent it back. Got another one same white noise. I can eliminate most of it with the amount of gain. But I think you get the best signal to noise ratio with the preamp turned up. I just bought a Fishman matrix for my other acoustic and its quiet as can be. I guess its just the nature of a tube in the mix?
Rich.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 am 

I think you are right, I am not totally convinced about the cool tube pre amp. I intentionally avoided buying a model with the pickup because I like to keep it simple when playing on stage. I may be wrong but I feel like having a tube in there means theres one more thing that may malfunction during a gig!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:23 pm 

Yes the CTP-2 does emit some white noise even when warmed up. I have this preamp in my TNV460SC. You get used to it. Nothing is perfect and if you are a purist you would mike an acoustic guitar anyway and forget about using Takamine's electronics.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:05 am 

i have the cool tube in my tnv360sc and i have no noise what so ever i love the tone i get with it also everybody says they are hard on batteries mine doesnt use any more battery life than my G series with the tk40 pre amp with 9v battery.. and amen to miking with a quality studio condenser ( aka Nueman or akg414)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:43 pm 

Rockatak,

What kind of amplifier are you using? I am wondering if it might be the input impedence on my amp effecting the Cool Tube's sound? I think my Behringer amp has a high one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:01 pm 

I just tried a different cord to my amp and there was even more white noise. I think I may have to take the guitar into a Takamine authorized service center to sort this out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:16 am 

I've got a ctp2 in a couple of taks and they are very quiet. I did have a ctp1 for a short time, it clearly had a noise component that was bothersome. But I haven't experienced it with the ctp2. I typically have the tube dialed in around 60%, volume about half way, with a u or inverted u shape on the eq...good luck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:53 am 

i'm just running it into the PA Direct, also when recording i run it direct into the the guitar input in my porta studio and use a condenser mike setting .. I also run the tube around 2 oclock vol. 1/2 and EQ for the most part flat with just a touch of highs but my 360 is a dread i dont know what guitar body cowboy rasta or you are using

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:09 am 

FWIW, I have 4 guitars with CTP-2 electronics, and have noticed no noise whatever....
And I think the CTP-2 combined with the Palathetic pickup (nylon string) is by far the best I've ever experienced........

Compas Analysis, Music Theory for Flamenco
"A Flamenco Journey"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:34 pm 

I have a TF740FS with a Cool Tube 2. I get no noise, but I do get distortion when I play at higher sound levels. I find that using the Takamine Acoustic DI reduces that significantly. My Tonebone Pre Z Preamp does an even better job, although only the Tak. preamp will let me run the preamp without batteries. I'm a little disappointed that the Tube has distortion at all, but I've heard that Tubes kind of do that. I was hoping for a plug and play scenario, but oh well...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:10 pm 

I gave up on the TNV460SC and CTP2 Cool Tube. After talking to an authorized service center's owner I was told the Cool Tube has some "floor noise". He said he could put in a different make's preamp. Heck! This was a new guitar and I would have to pay for different preamp? I sent the guitar back to the seller and bought a Martin OMC-Aura with the Aura preamp. I am totally pleased and love the 6 settings for mike sounds from the Aura. The preamp has no white noise. It sounds like Takamine has a reliablity issue with the Cool Tubes. They seem to put out a few bad ones. Most of you fellows seem to have done OK with your Cool Tubes. I miss the Takamine a bit and love the fit and finish of their guitars but I have to admit Martin's OMC-Aura is a beauty too. I don't understand why Martin isn't putting out more models with the Aura preamp. It is a fantastic preamp. It is the only one that lets you change the 9-volt battery with the barn door method. For some reason Martin loves to put their batteries in a pouch in the body. I do not like to loosen strings and change batteries through the soundhole. Along came the Aura and finally Martin has a preamp that competes with Takamine's preamps and IMHO Martin's Aura wins the sound contest over the Cool Tube. Takamine is mighty fine guitar still and the NEX body shaped guitars have a good balance. Comparing the Martin OMC to the Takamine TNV460SC they are pretty close in sound. The Martin is slightly more bassy and mellower than the Tak which was a bit brighter and rang out a bit more. I prefered the Tak unplugged a bit more but the OMC plugged in is better. Of course this comparison would never have been done by me if the Tak's Cool Tube had been quiet like most of you have. By the way Martin has discontinued the OMC-Aura. The OMC-Aura has solid rosewood back and sides. The top is solid spruce but I thought the Bearclaw Spruce that the Tak had was really cool. Both guitars have abalone rosettes and trim.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:23 am 

I joined this forum because I hoped to get some advice on the CTP-2 preamp, and what do I find?
Lots of people with the same noise problem. The hiss is odd in that it increases with the volume control to about half-way position, then drops slightly. So the noise is no worse with the pre-amp on full volume than on half volume. The noise is not altered by the tube effect control. Therefore, running full volume helped for a while, but meant I needed to use a pad on the power amp input.
The hiss (white noise) level from my CoolTube preamp has increased over six months since new, and now the other band members are complaining, so it must be bad. I changed the tube and it made no difference. Ran the pickup direct into an external preamp and it is TOTALLY silent, (and in fact would have been a useable solution). This is clearly a problem with the electronics in the CTP-2. As mentioned by the OP, there is also a huge feedback problem using the CTP-2 which is not present using the pick-up straight into an external preamp, so I wonder if there is also a microphonics problem with the CTP-2.
It came fitted in my TB-10 bass, which I bought from Thomann in Germany. Unfortunately, they won't accept just the pre-amp returned under warranty, only the complete bass. Well that's not going to happen because of; the cost, risk of damage to an acoustic bass, environmentally unsound to transport a big heavy package instead of a light little one, and I need to keep gigging and have no substitute for the TB10s sound.
To get by, I have simply swapped the CTP2 for an old Graph-Ex pre-amp from one of my Takamine guitars. This is near enough silent in operation, but the tone controls are limited for use on a bass, and I now miss the onboard tuner!
I think it is time Takamine owned up to the noise problem with the Cool Tube. I am grateful however for them keeping to a uniform pre-amp mounting system.
BTW, I use an AER Basecube 2 amp which offers piezo and line inputs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:39 am 

Well, almost three, anyway...:-)

rockigdoc wrote:
I joined this forum because I hoped to get some advice on the CTP-2 preamp, and what do I find?
Lots of people with the same noise problem.

Compas Analysis, Music Theory for Flamenco
"A Flamenco Journey"