Takamine Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: a question for Mike (Markure)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:42 am 

Well actually I am saving our Cocobolo for the 50th. The new BG model will probably have "killer" grade EIR or maybe if I'm happy with it African rosewood. I'm hoping to make this a total "rippin" flatpicker that folks can afford put in their giggin arsenal so I'm not looking to get to "OTT" with upcharges.

Now having said that..... I'm always willing to entertain a custom shop request from you fine folks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:15 pm 

Mike Markure wrote:
Well actually I am saving our Cocobolo for the 50th.

For those of anxiously awaiting release of the 50th, that sounds really excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:09 pm 

Mike Markure wrote:
Well actually I am saving our Cocobolo for the 50th. The new BG model will probably have "killer" grade EIR or maybe if I'm happy with it African rosewood. I'm hoping to make this a total "rippin" flatpicker that folks can afford put in their giggin arsenal so I'm not looking to get to "OTT" with upcharges.

Now having said that..... I'm always willing to entertain a custom shop request from you fine folks.

a wish for a custom fretboard inlay ;) and that would be a dream such a guitar : a custom
Great, as long as it's possible to get such a guitar ;) cuz I also have & top quality guitar from a reputable company, for still a fair price, custom wood custom design ... have you got an idea how much that would cost, a rough guess, for that guitar that is in plans, that new BG version, in a custom creation ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:40 am 

Not to be a schmuck but you start getting into this level of detail questions and pricing it's probably best to take it off line and talk direct with Mike.
If you want a custom fingerboard here's a suggestion. Find out the dimensions it needs to be and go have one made and supply it to Tak. Not sure if they can do that but it's another thought. That way you get all the shit you want in/on it and it doesn't confust the price of the guitar, too much

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; TNV760SC; 40th#24; 45th#0; Opry#50; 50th#7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:22 am 

Yeah Beal's suggestion to move "off line" to work up a custom is right on. Plus we would need a dealer involved in the ordering.

I will say that we have a well deserved reputation for not gouging on our custom work. In fact we probably sell ourselves short most of the time. But I like happy Takamine players. There are a couple of guys on the forum that we built custom units for.

We have pretty much unlimited capabilities in inlay work so a custom fretboard will be no problem. We can work work off of any scanable artwork.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:48 am 

Mike Markure wrote:
Yeah Beal's suggestion to move "off line" to work up a custom is right on. Plus we would need a dealer involved in the ordering.

I will say that we have a well deserved reputation for not gouging on our custom work. In fact we probably sell ourselves short most of the time. But I like happy Takamine players. There are a couple of guys on the forum that we built custom units for.

We have pretty much unlimited capabilities in inlay work so a custom fretboard will be no problem. We can work work off of any scanable artwork.

And I am a happy Takamine player ;) I received my TF430SS today and it sounds very good, I like the string vibration and that sound vibe I also kinda found in the EAN10C, maybe it's the cedar I'm not sure, not that kind of an expert yet. I have a great local Takamine dealer so that would be no problem, this 430SS is an exception since it became very cheap in USA, but usually it would cost even more with taxes mainly to import a guitar here. I thought a custom shop could have been difficult because they're made in Japan and I saw the catalogue there contains other models, and there was no cocobollo for example in the custom list to choose out of, but it's great to hear that anything is possible, well at least if your wallet is big enough ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:56 pm 

ProfessorBB wrote:
Mike Markure wrote:
Well actually I am saving our Cocobolo for the 50th.

For those of anxiously awaiting release of the 50th, that sounds really excellent.

Is the 50th gonna be a dreadnought with an Adi top as well ? ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:16 am 

The 50th will be a dreadnought and also a classical to commemorate the origin of the company.

I do not believe I will use Red Spruce for the 50th. But that may change depending on the quality of the wood available.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:26 am 

Mike, are you saying that there will be 2 versions of the 50th?.....a dread and a classical?
Will they be priced similar?
I had decided to probably pass on the 50th but if a classical version is available I might need to start saying up my pennies again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:59 am 

A classical for the 50th is what I have been thinking. The company has it's deepest roots in classical guitar building. I think it would be nice to commemorate that.

I'll still do a super, double secret, ninja dread though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:40 pm 

OK, that's good, we won't tell anyone. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; TNV760SC; 40th#24; 45th#0; Opry#50; 50th#7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:46 pm 

Well I'm saving up for that TF450DLX (reason why I bought a TF430SS now) & that new BG ;) maybe a custom one with an Adi top, I heard that's also a killer combo, red spruce/maple, the power/brightness of the Adirondack in combination with the projection & clarity of maple, and the looks will be already superb. I must say the TF430SS in my opinion is a must have in your collection for Takamine passionists, the tone, looks, finishing, pickup, and that for a bargain price ... so the 50th anniversary that will be for 2012 if I'm right...