Takamine Forum

It is currently Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New 2013 Limited Run Models - Takamine Kunoichi and F250SM
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:37 pm 

Hey guys,

Since the Takamine website seems a little glitchy, check out these 2 limited run (similar to FSR "factory special run" that Fender does) Takamine models that are currently available and very limited. Only 20 Kunoichi available in the USA and 40 F250SM in the USA!!

http://www.takamine.com/guitars/series/limited-edition/kunoichi-ebony-fingerboard-gloss-black-with-case/

http://www.takamine.com/guitars/series/limited-edition/f250sm-jumbo-ebony-fingerboard-with-case/

Post subject: Re: New 2013 Limited Run Models - Takamine Kunoichi and F250
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:05 am 

I've always been a sucker for the big bodied Maple Gibsons so if follows that I like the Jumbo F250 Takamine. Probably a big sound from that guitar. I will say that it looks knd of barren without a pick guard but as a matter of personal choice could be added if chosen to do so.

Blues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:40 pm 

I know, I know, it is a pet peeve of mine but okay...
Why does Takamine insist on building ALL of their OM models (except the TAN77, the TNV760S and two old Limited ed versions) with narrow necks? Every time a new one comes out I look to see if some sort of design gods smiled down but, no, the same narrow neck as on all the rest.
Yikes
I guess it is better this way. Keeps me from buying more guitars I don't really need.
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:41 pm 

salmonella wrote:
I know, I know, it is a pet peeve of mine but okay...
Why does Takamine insist on building ALL of their OM models (except the TAN77, the TNV760S and two old Limited ed versions) with narrow necks? Every time a new one comes out I look to see if some sort of design gods smiled down but, no, the same narrow neck as on all the rest.
Yikes
I guess it is better this way. Keeps me from buying more guitars I don't really need.
Dave

The TF740FS is an OM cutaway with a deeper body and 1-7/8" nut width.... But I'm in a similar boat, I just ordered a Martin OO-DB Jeff Tweedy model, deep OO body with a 1-3/4" nut width.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:41 pm 

On a recent trip to Japan I was lucky enough to try a prototype EF740FS at a Takamine Dealer in Tokyo. It's exactly the same as the TF740FS but with the CT4-DX preamp and an additional soundboard transducer fitted. It sounded amazingly good, very natural and was set up beautifully. Loved the 47mm nut width. I have no idea if they will make it into production though. Had that one been for sale it would be sitting here right now.

Takamine get their necks (and body sides) from a third party supplier. They can obviously order them in any spec they want but seem to have made a business decision to limit the number of models they produce with anything other than 42mm. I could understand if they were making the necks themselves and doing it as a cost saving measure but they don't. Hopefully, one day, they'll change their minds on this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:55 pm 

TRS61 wrote:
On a recent trip to Japan I was lucky enough to try a prototype EF740FS at a Takamine Dealer in Tokyo. It's exactly the same as the TF740FS but with the CT4-DX preamp and an additional soundboard transducer fitted. It sounded amazingly good, very natural and was set up beautifully. Loved the 47mm nut width. I have no idea if they will make it into production though. Had that one been for sale it would be sitting here right now.

Takamine get their necks (and body sides) from a third party supplier. They can obviously order them in any spec they want but seem to have made a business decision to limit the number of models they produce with anything other than 42mm. I could understand if they were making the necks themselves and doing it as a cost saving measure but they don't. Hopefully, one day, they'll change their minds on this.

Necks on Japan made Taks are CNC cut and shaped then hand sanded and finished all in the Japan factory... I am almost positive of this. 1-11/16" nut width is an industry standard and pairs very well with the assymetrical neck profile japan made Taks have.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:27 pm 

BluesBelly wrote:
I've always been a sucker for the big bodied Maple Gibsons so if follows that I like the Jumbo F250 Takamine. Probably a big sound from that guitar. I will say that it looks knd of barren without a pick guard but as a matter of personal choice could be added if chosen to do so.

Hi Blues I agree with you on the barren look - personally I much prefer a suburst on a maple body.

Takamine jumbos are very interesting guitars tonally - I have a TF250SMC SB (probably the longest model number in the entire Tak catalog, lol) which I bought primarily because I wanted the Toby Keith signature model but didn't want to pay extra for Toby Keith bling :mrgreen:

This guitar sounds big but there is a limit to the absolute amount of volume that can be produced because of the relatively low action and light strings. What I really like is the low growl that the huge lower bout produces, combined with the focused midrange of the waisted body and the top end 'zing' from the maple. However the physical size of the guitar does make it rather cumbersome to play standing up, which is no doubt why Takamine decided to produce the NEX body style. That, IMO, is the perfect all-around guitar.

Regards,
Bruno

http://www.youtube.com/glbpro - Guitar and Preamp review videos!