Takamine Forum

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: TLD LINE DRIVER PREAMP ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:09 pm 

HI,
What exactly is a TLD LIne Driver Preamp. And how do you use it.

Does it have volume and tone controls, or do you just run it out to a mixer, pa head, or amp, to control the sound.
Does it take a battery?

I searched the Tak Website but could find no info. I have never used a line driver preamp, and want to make sure I don't overlook a good thing, as I pursue the SBG Series. I have always used the Takamine Preamps such as the AccuraAcoustic, CT4BII, and others, but never a line driver.

I would really appreciate any info to help me understand the TLD Line Driver Preamp....Advantages and/or Disadvantages.

Thanks,
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

TDL is a preamp (and 9V battery) tucked inside the guitar and outputs just like every other Takamine. The only difference is that it has no on board controls. The beauty of it is that it does not take away from the pure looks of the guitar. The sound is very good. Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:33 pm 

It's got the tone of one of the more recent preamps in the flat position built into it. MM can tell us which one. You need out board sound or trust the sound man. I use a fishman box with the image turned OFF so I get just the volume control if I need that. Most of my playing situations don't require volume changes so I just run it straight out.
I've got this on the 75 and 45.

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; a couple others

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:20 pm 

Thanks folks,
Yes, I hope Mike Makure will tell us which preamp flat position is built in to it.

So, basically the TLD is electronically along the same line as an Active UST, that takes a battery. Is that right?

The set up would be similar to the K&K Pure Western Mini, and Pure XLR Preamp, I will be using with my Collings. Accept the Mini is passive, and does not take a battery, but Tone and Volume controls come from the Preamp. More or less the same....a non intrusive pickup system, externally controlled.

Mauvais or Tacky,
Is there a Volume difference acoustically, between the same Model Guitar if one has TLD, and the other has a CTP-1. Could you hear a difference?

Thanks,
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:47 am 

no difference, I had a 340bg with the line driver and 360 with the tube. Yu could get the tube louder but in the middle settings they were about the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:48 am 

Thanks Mauvais,
But what about just plain acoustically. Does one sound better than the other, you know, without the big cutout and tube preamp. When I put the Ellipse Aura in my HD-28 soundhole, beleive it or not I coud hear a subtle change acoustically.
I know theres probably not much, if any difference acoustically between the Line driver and CTP-1 application, just wondered if you noticed any difference without the electronics turned on.
Thanks,
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:41 am 

The TLD line driver is a simple circuit designed to buffer the pickup and boost the current of the signal so you will not get any degradation with long cables. It is clean and quiet and works very well.

The TLD does have a little built in EQ which basically matches the curves of the CT4B when set flat. There is actually a mild bass boost, mild mid cut and the highs are practically flat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:25 pm 

Acoustically I've never noticed and difference with the "barndoor" hole for the preamp and one that didn't have it. The preamp fills it so there's no "leakage" of sound and it's close to the neck block so there's not a lot of movement there like there would be back in the waist.
There's 2 cents from an old gas station guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

What they need to do is build some with the TDL but also have the can and barndoor like a big pre-amp. Put a little sliding or hindged cover on it. You could keep your smokes, capo, pics, etc. in there. Hell you could probably fit a bologna sandwich and an airline shot of JD.

Dave