Takamine Forum

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Smart Car
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:14 pm 

My dad had a restored original Fiat 500 that he sold to get the Smart. It was a good move for him, but certainly lost the whole coolness factor. Driving the 500 was fun for about five minutes.

When I was a small kid, my dad had a '59 Fiat Spider. It was a real rare thing in SoCal back then. And he did have a mechanic by the name of Tony. I remember he made house calls.

Beal ... if you get the Cooper, make sure you get the one with the blower.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:22 am 

Quote: "had a mini cooper for a short time and it was a totaly trip to drive"

Quote: "my rental car is a Fiat 500. Like to Cooper"

Both Modern Iterations of these Vehicles were Designed by the same Designer.

Frank Stevenson did such a Good Job with the BMW MINI, that he was head hunted by Ferrari to become their Head of Design.

After working on many New Designs, especially Maserati's he was tasked with aiding the ailing Fiat Brand and used a similar approach to his concepts with the MINI, to resurrect the Fiat 500. He eventually went on to McLaren.

The day the Chairman and Supervisory Board of BMW were due to view the Life Sized Clay Model of the MINI, the Design Team had been working very hard at the last minute to get everything finalised. It was a bit hectic and they were pressured for time.

When they finally finished, with just a couple of hours to go before the VIP assessment of their work, Frank sent one of them out for a Celebratory Crate of Beer to relax and unwind, before they got themselves ready. As he stood there drinking a Beer, and stood looking back at the Clay Model from a distance, he suddenly realised he had entirely omitted the Tailpipe from the Model.

Shocked and Panicked with little time now to do anything about this oversight, he was suddenly inspired. He took the Beer Can in his hand and worked it into the point of the Rear Bumper where the Tailpipe would be. Then he carefully covered it in a thin layer of Clay and neatened the point where they joined. When the Chairman and Supervisory Board saw the Model they were very impressed. The Chairman's parting word to Frank was "Don't Change a Single Thing about this Design".

Everything went well for some time, then suddenly Frank was called in to A High Level Production Development Managers Office. The conversation went like this. "What's with this Unique Design of Tailpipe. My Engineers are telling me it's completely Non-Standard and is going to Cost a Fortune to Fabricate. Why couldn't you use a Standard Size and Design of Tailpipe on this Car"? By this time Frank was wishing the Floor would open up beneath him, and actually shifting from Foot to Foot, nervously wondering What on Earth to Tell Him.

He decided to Tell the Truth, and explained the Story of What had Happened.

The Manager was at first Completely Stunned, hardly being able to Believe what he was Hearing.

Then he started Laughing and Laughed and Laughed and Laughed for Ages. Finally he said, "If the Chairman has Cleared this Design, insisting its kept as Originally Conceived, then we'll have to find the Money and a Creative Way to Manufacturer it."

He signed off and moved forward the approved Design and that's why when you look at the Tailpipe of the MINI Cooper, there's just something about it that seems very familiar, but you can't quite put your finger on what it is. This is the explanation. You have held this Tailpipe to your lips and drank out of it most of your Life!

That's a completely True Story.

I know because I was personally invited Try the Finished Car at the Factories Testing Site and to give a Professional Critique of the Vehicle, long before it was ever Launched.

Some Smart Cars had different sized front and back wheels.

This makes carrying a Spare Wheel quite a Complicated Business really.

As the Original Designers behind Smart made watches (Swatch) this is understandable.

It's a good job they decided to hook up with Car Maker, Daimler. Watches and Cars are quite different.

:D

Many Cars have Run Flat Tyres or less than Full Size "Get you Home" Spare Tyres these days. It's not a deal breaker Issue.

P

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:14 am 

I saw a stretch smart car limo the other day. Just something fundamentally wrong with that.

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; a couple others

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:28 am 

A stretch smart limo?

I don't know if I'd be more afraid to ride in it or embarrassed. Guess it would depend on how many people were pushing it.