Takamine Forum

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Show A Little Love for the Arizonal Cardinals
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:45 am 
Site Admin

Hey, can y'all show a little love for the AZ Cardinals. I'm not a huge NFL guy (college football is my 1st love) but this is BIG for the Phoenix area. I know there's gazillions of Giants, Bears and Packers fans out there who have 10 years waiting lists for tickets and stuff like that who just laugh at the Cardinals, probably one of the most inept teams of the last 50 years. But it is what it is. The Pats, Colts, etc. are all sitting home and WE, the lowly laughable Cards are hosting the freaking NFC Title Game. They loading in an extra 3500 seats (what they call "Fiesta Bowl" configuration) to bump capacity just over 70k. Tickets went on sale at 3pm Sunday and were sold out at 3:06pm. Yes, the Cards can lay an egg at any given moment and Sundays game could be a blowout in either direction, but give us our moment in the sun! Quote in todays paper, near the end of Saturdays win at Carolina one of the players asked the coach "what are we supposed to do now?" not knowning exactly how to celebrate. Coach says, "Act like we've done this before and it's no big deal". For those who have waited 60 years just to get this far it IS a big deal.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:10 am 

I'll trade you one afternoon's support of the AZ Cardinals for one playoff game's support for the Chicago Cubs baseball team next season. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:15 am 
Site Admin

DEAL! Actually I go to a few Cubs spring training games out here and it's a lot of fun. Plenty of Cubs fans in AZ. Retired folks who gave up the Chicago winters and moved to AZ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:17 am 

Since my Broncos great collapse and Shanny's firing ( finally!), I need a team to root for. Since the Cardinals are the closest, they get my support as the new home team!

Go Cardinals!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:42 am 

Living in Minnesota I'll root for anything that has to do with warm weather!
I've spent some time in the valley and I like there.
Go Cards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:22 am 

Id love to and since I am in St Louis and am old I remember the REAL CARDINALS, the Jim Heart , Pat Tilly Dan derdorf ,Conward Doblen days back when they played at the old Stadium which was a NEW one then, back when Bill Bidwell was a Jerk0 (an i am sure still is ) back before we Bought the rams and all there issues back when football was played outside

So good luck and God Bless maybe if YOU are lucky and If ole Bill B still ownes them------maybe they will win and he will just die and go away and all will be well :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:48 pm 

RopingK,

How in the hell old are you anyway. I thought I was the only one that remembered vintage ball players.

I remember freezing my A string off sitting outside at the old Met Stadium in Minneapolis watching the Vikings Carl Eller, Jim Marshall and now Minnesota Supreme court Justice Allan Page playing the Real Cardinals in a real football game. Fran Tarkngton is my hero. Now pro ball is sooooo gay... most of the real ball players are retired much like you and I. The ball payers today have the big diamond earings, dancing in the end zone, strutting your stuff, look at me attitude. Coaches challenges? Totally gay!!!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Man I guess we're ALL old. Yes I remember the purple people eaters and was also a Tark fan (when he was a Giant playing at Yankee Stadium). I was actually rooting AGAINST the merger, I loved the old AFL. Anyway, old man Bidwell is still around but he's out of the picture. His son Michael runs the team and they've actually got a pretty good front office. My son lives in NY City and said Sunday he actually saw for the FIRST time ever, a guy walking through midtown manhatten wearing a Cardinals jersey. Kiss your loved ones goodbye because the end of the world can't be far away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:26 pm 

Hey BlueBelly:
My wife used to work for the City Of Hope in the clayton office (outside ST Louis) anyway they did the big time $500 a plate dinners, she had to be there to help work the PAy tables , :D and I would go to well just hang out ( we dont drink but man if you did it was a open bar from like 5:00 till???????) anyway the Football and baseball and even a few of the Blues hockey players would always be there .
It was really pretty cool to get to just hang out with them and see that they really were just lke you and I,( at that time they did not all make 20 million) they werent super heros like they seemed (remember I wsa like 20at the time) anyway Jim Heart, Big Dan Derdoff, and Littile Pat Tilly and Mel Grey were all walking down the hall and it was like Monster---- Mediul----- Small------ and Tiny ( Pat tilly was like 5'7" and 150 pounds I was actually bigger than he was but man put him on a pattern and let Jim have a few seconds to find him and he could grab it out of the air. and run
It is a good memory of the by gone days
Anyway I do really like Warner and I think he is way better than he is given credit ,He lead the Rams to a lot of really big games Maybe he can pull out one more Victory-------still its hard to cheer for them Arizona Cardinals :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:56 am 

As a lifelong Raider fan, steeped in memories of Lamonica, Otis Sistrunk, the Heidi Bowl, Fred Biletnikoff, Stabler-to-Casper-how-the-hell-did-he-do-that passes, Lester Hayes, John Madden, Howie Long, Bo Jackson, Marcus Allen, and even Jim Plunkett, it galls me that every year I have to pick a new favorite for the playoff race. This year you gotta love the Cardinals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:34 am 

yep that old left handed snake could for sure get it down the field

do we have any Don Foust fans that guy was just amazing at how many passes he would throw and how many yards he would pass for and how many TD's he would throw I mean it could be like 28 to 0 in the first quarter of course as soon as the other team got warmed up it would 28 to 28 and still in the 1st quarter :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:25 pm 

Cardinals 32-25. How you like THEM apples? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:33 pm 

A LOOOOOOOONG time coming but the big dance is now just around the corner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:23 am 

How about that quarter back can he paly ball or what---you know Im really thrilled to see Kurt show that he is a real player (this is hard to say buy)

Go cards