California, class of, um, '71 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:00 pm 

PtT,

Class of 69. Minnesota, small town USA.

Isthere fury amongus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:22 pm 

Partscasters and modcasters have been a passion of mine for awhile.
I've built two.
I ahve a SX Tele that I modded and it made a really nice player.
New p'ups ,pots and a headstock reshaping and presto.
As good as my Fender models.
And it sounds better.
Twang and lots of it.
Lots of info on TDPRI.

Post subject: Re: Homebuilts, anyone?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:39 am 

My first homebuilt project is underway, though most of the progress is, er, mental. A guy at the music store gave me a beautiful board of 5A Phillipine mahogany. I got some blueprint plans off the tdpri forum, and got my son Daniel to tackle the building of a Telecaster body from the board. He's in the thinking stages of that job already.

While I'm waiting for him to go through the rest of the stages, I'll save up my money and buy pickups--I'm studying the options, your input is welcome--and hardware, and a neck. My concept for this guitar is to finish the body with polished tung oil, use all-black hardware, and imitate the neck of my SBG as closely as I can. I'm planning to buy the neck from Warmoth, mahogany with ebony fingerboard, compound radius, 1 3/4" graphite nut, no face dots, to keep it black. I think the neck will be the most expensive single component, but I haven't really landed on which pickups yet (I'm planning the traditional Tele SS setup with 3-way switch,) and I see some of those can be spendy.

I see what Beal means already, when he said above, "It's not really cheap," but spreading the investments out over time will make it sustainable for me, and I think I'll have a finer instrument at the end than I'd be able to buy with same money, even if I managed to save it up in a lump, which is difficult around here. I'm anticipating a dark-looking, dark-sounding, one-of-a-kind guitar coming out of this, I hope within about a year, less if I'm lucky.

The other thing that's exciting to me about this whole thing is what I get to learn in the process. I have lots of choices to make that will probe the depths of my ignorance, especially about tuners, neck profile, frets, maybe radius, pickup specs. I know many of you have expertise, and I'd appreciate any pointers you care to share.

Post subject: Re: Homebuilts, anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:22 pm 

I built several over the years, like someone said not very cheap but you end up with a guitar that will be amazing. This is a crappy picture of my favorite one I built. She features a solid black walnut body with a Brazilian rosewood neck and a African rosewood fingerboard. The bridge is a string-thru fixed and I am using Seymour Duncan pickups, a Duncan Custom in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck. A graphite nut and Gotoh tuners up top.

The finish is just Tung Oil and furniture wax. I call her the Chopping Block
Bob

Ibanez RG7321
Crate Vintage Club All-Tube 50