Takamine Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Happy 4/20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:41 am 

Happy 4/20, everyone. While your tax dollars work hard as always, zillions of "students" around the country are skipping school today, wishing each other "Happy 4/20," and probably smoking pot.

It goes back to a television newsmagazine report years ago (too long ago for any of these kids to have seen it, but the date's been observed ever since, which revealed that kids who smoked marijuana were most likely to do so at 4:20 on school days, most students being home by then, but their parents not due home from work for another hour or so.) Some students claim they're celebrating Hitler's birthday, which it is, but most of them are just putting up a "smoke" screen, at least I hope they are.

Funny, most of the students who skip class to honor 4/20 skip class pretty frequently anyway, and many of them often come to class with a headful of pot (a far stronger substance than many of us remember from our youth.) My senior class today had just over 1/2 its roster in attendance. Sometimes "teaching" is a funny word, funny job. Och, tamale. Happy 4/20.

Post subject: Re: Happy 4/20
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:58 am 

interesting back story. I always wondered where the 420 term came from.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:22 am 

The story I'd always heard tracks pretty closely with the Wikipedia entry:

"The term was allegedly coined by a group of teenagers in San Rafael, California in 1971.[2][3] Calling themselves the Waldos, because 'their chosen hang-out spot was a wall outside the school,'[4] the group first used the term in connection to a fall 1971 plan to search for an abandoned cannabis crop that they had learned about.[5] The Waldos designated the Louis Pasteur statue on the grounds of San Rafael High School as their meeting place, and 4:20 p.m. as their meeting time.[4] The Waldos referred to this plan with the phrase '4:20 Louis'. Multiple failed attempts to find the crop eventually shortened their phrase to simply '4:20', which ultimately evolved into a codeword the teens used to mean pot-smoking in general.[5]

High Times Creative Director Steven Hager was the first person to track down the Waldos and publish their account of the origins of the term. Hager wrote "Are You Stoner Smart or Stoner Stupid?" (October 1998) in which he called for 4:20 p.m. to be the socially accepted hour of the day to consume cannabis. 'I believe 420 is a ritualization of cannabis use that holds deep meaning for our subculture,' wrote Hager. 'It also points us in a direction for the responsible use of cannabis.'"
Here's another write-up on the origins.

Luke, what do you teach? I'm surprised it's use is so widespread among teenagers. I thought it had dropped in popularity in favor of alcohol in that age group.

Takamine EF75J #61, EF360SC, TNV340S, GX-200
Collings CJ
and a bunch of plastic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:09 pm 

G8r wrote:
Luke, what do you teach? I'm surprised it's use is so widespread among teenagers. I thought it had dropped in popularity in favor of alcohol in that age group.

English, mostly sophomores, one section of seniors.

We hear lots of idle talk about alcohol exploits, so it probably is the overall favorite, but pot's apparently better for use during school hours; we don't see drinkers very often. Pretty sad, sometimes, seeing papers decorated with drawings of leaves, stoned-faced cartoon characters, bongs, joints, etc. And, since cheap pot was the first and only real casualty (thanks a lot) in Nancy Reagan's War on Drugs, the marijuana kids are smoking today is a much stronger drug than what some of us might remember from our youth; the dealers make more money taking the same risk. Very disruptive, frustrating, not conducive to student success, even for the students--don't worry, there are many of these, too--who don't engage in it. Some days I have to remind myself how much I love my job.

Interesting Huffington Post article. I'll have to read it more carefully later. Still, happy 4/20.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:50 pm 

PtT wrote:
G8r wrote:

English, mostly sophomores, one section of seniors...Some days I have to remind myself how much I love my job.

OK, you're a hero in my book. On behalf of all who should, but never do, especially in this day and age when the Koch brothers are waging a national campaign to blame you for everything that's gone wrong, thank you.

Takamine EF75J #61, EF360SC, TNV340S, GX-200
Collings CJ
and a bunch of plastic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:51 pm 

G8r wrote:
PtT wrote:
OK, you're a hero in my book. On behalf of all who should, but never do, especially in this day and age when the Koch brothers are waging a national campaign to blame you for everything that's gone wrong, thank you.

Thank you Luke and your fellow teachers.
Teachers do so much to make up for the shortcomings to our children's education that are brought on by a society changing faster than most of us can adjust to.
I could not do your job but I am very glad that there are those of you who do love your work.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:32 pm 

Shucks, 'twarn't nothin. :oops: They do pay us! But thanks, guys; I appreciate the kind words.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:47 pm 

Boy, the older I get the less I know

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; a couple others

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:25 am 

Thats probably because of 4:20

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:34 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfduFy26EE0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:31 pm 

Hello there! I am Daisy from Alabama and newbie here :)