Takamine Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sound hole pickup with CT4-DX
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:52 am 

Hi, will my baggs M80 or M1 sound hole pick up work with a CT4-DX pre amp as a dual sound source or do I need the Triax2? Any pros/cons? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Sound hole pickup with CT4-DX
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 am 

It will work as I've done it before with both of those and the CTP-2. The M80 would be a slightly better choice in my opinion. I finally settled on liking the Dimarzio Black Angel best with my CTP-2 preamps.

I have owned the CT4-DX in the past and liked it but still preferred the cool tube preamps.

As long as you have the correct little cable (you can buy then from addicted to tone) the Baggs stuff will work fine.

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:43 am 

Thank you benderman, would the triax2 be better in any way, less noise, etc?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:57 am 

Cheer tunes wrote:
Thank you benderman, would the triax2 be better in any way, less noise, etc?

The Triax is just a re-badged Baggs M80. Different only in looks I'm told. Having owned both at the same time I could hear no difference between a Baggs M80 and the Takamine Triax.

Now to make things even more complicated they brought out a Triax 2 several years ago that I have not tried it but feel strongly it is still an M80 just in a different color. Probably followed an update of the M80 that carried over to the Triax 2. All I know is that if you dig deep into some old threads here and the AGF you'll find some people who did a lot of digging and was able to confirm that the Triax is an M80 in different clothing.

Further I will say that no matter what mag I added to the mix with my touring Takamines the difference in sound no matter which one I was using was barely noticeable. I usually dial it in around 1/2 way, maybe a little past half way. I do like the fact that my Dimarzios Black Angel's have a phase switch. I use this feature from time to time. If I'm on a loud stage and my guitar sounds good but a little too boomy on the low end the first thing I do instead of reaching for the EQ is flip that phase switch and most times it cures the problem.

Hope this helps you some!

P.S. I may be gearing up to sell a few more of my collection and the P7NC may be on the block soon. I know at one time you were interested in one but you may have gotten something by now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:11 am 

Thanks benderman, great info. Off the tone topic, the tak is already in my opinion a pretty heavy acoustic guitar, the M80 won't help :) I'll play around with it I'll need that cable to make it happen.

I have a TAN16C that is wonderful! I'm definitely still looking for another one. Probably TNV, TAN, or P7. Dread, OM, or NEX so I'm pretty flexible.
Where are you located? I'm in Atlanta.

Thanks
Scotty b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:43 am 

Cheer tunes wrote:
Thanks benderman, great info. Off the tone topic, the tak is already in my opinion a pretty heavy acoustic guitar, the M80 won't help :) I'll play around with it I'll need that cable to make it happen.

I have a TAN16C that is wonderful! I'm definitely still looking for another one. Probably TNV, TAN, or P7. Dread, OM, or NEX so I'm pretty flexible.
Where are you located? I'm in Atlanta.

Thanks
Scotty b

What's another pound or two / LOL

You are correct they are not the lightest built acoustics but it's part of why they work so well plugged in. At the end of the day a good Takamine does not really need the Mag to sound good but it does add another dimension and can get you more gain before feedback if needed.

Right now I'm gearing up to sell 2 Crook Custom Electrics but after that I believe I may list my P7. I'm in WV