Takamine Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nck reset on F370SK - epoxy used?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:11 pm 

I am considering have a neck reset done on my '81 F370SK. The guitar sound okay, but mostly want to keep it for sentimental value.

Any chance Tak made it difficult by using epoxy glue on the neck joint?

Post subject: Re: Nck reset on F370SK - epoxy used?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:52 pm 

Seems to be very difficult. We have a guy named Charlie in our FB group that has done a few now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:15 am 

TheFatguy wrote:
Seems to be very difficult. We have a guy named Charlie in our FB group that has done a few now.

Do you have his name? What is the Facebook group? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Facebook group = Takamine Guitars

Personally, I'd be surprised if they used epoxy. But then again ... I'm often surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:38 am 

SkipII wrote:
TheFatguy wrote:

Do you have his name? What is the Facebook group? Thanks.

His name is Charlie Arnold and the group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/TakamineGuitars/

Tacky wrote:

Personally, I'd be surprised if they used epoxy. But then again ... I'm often surprised.

Whatever they used, sure seems to make Luthiers run screaming the other way.

Post subject: Re: Neck reset on F370SK - epoxy used?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:12 am 

I had a really good tech look at it today and he winced when I mentioned a neck reset. He said it would be a mystery what glue they used until he got it heated up, and then it might be too late to reverse course.

What he will do instead is take off the bridge (he thought that would be a lot less risky) and sand that down the underside to give me another 1/16th or so. That lets me keep a good string break angle and not affect the visual aesthetics of the bridge that would happen if he sanded down the top of the bridge.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:40 am 

I dont think that will work. I sent charlie the link to this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:04 pm 

Hey guys, Charlie here.

Yes - Epoxy IS used in all Takamines as far as I know, and I've had Takamine Japan confirm this for me as well.

So far I've done three successful saw-off neck resets on Takamines and on one Yairi (which was magnitudes worse than any of the Taks, but I digress).

I know of two luthiers who claim to have had success with steaming a Takamine dovetail joint for a conventional reset, but the other 99% run away screaming before they even try. But because your SK will have dowels instead of a dovetail it's not even applicable to you.

Until some point in the late 80's, as far as I can tell, Takamine used four dowels to mount all their necks onto guitar bodies.

But because all I currently offer is saw-off resets anyway, the neck joint doesn't exactly matter. One of the three Taks I've reset did have a conventional dovetail joint filled to the brim with epoxy.

If you can see a crack like this:

between the neck heel and guitar body, it will be much easier to reset. This means the epoxy has already broken free from the body, and more than likely no actual sawing will be necessary for the repair. This will take out a few hours of work and several more difficult steps for the luthier.

As to the recommendation you got to simply sand the bottom of the bridge, more than likely it is also epoxied. Rather than potentially maiming your guitar's top in an area where it's unnecessary and simultaneous weaking the bridge without enough payoff for acceptable string height, I would personally go for the reset route.

But be warned, there is no telling how hard or easy the entire process will go. There is a possibility of anything going wrong, from snapping the fretboard in half to breaking the neck heel (which I've done and had to patch back up). Although, in a situation where the guitar is a loss as it stands, there is really nothing to lose.

I have only noticed tonal improvements every time I've done this. People think bolt-ons sound worse, but I certainly can't tell the difference. I don't bother countersinking the allen head bolts into the neck block because it only adds time to the repair and doesn't make it any more functional. I also typically overset the neck a decent amount, meaning the saddle will be quite tall when I'm done but it also means the guitar will probably never need another neck reset. Some may not like how it looks, but I think it looks better than a saddle sunk entirely in the bridge.
I really prefer the bolt-on conversion because it means future maintenance will be easy to accomplish. Even if steaming on some of these guitars is possible, I still think I'd choose to go bolt-on. If you ever want the contact info for some of the luthiers who have told me they can steam a Takamine dovetail joint, I'd be happy to give you their contact info. I'm more into the "lost cause" guitars than anything else.

Here is a full album of a saw-off reset on a 1975 F366S which I bought to keep. The neck joint was very tight and problematic on this guitar, but I managed to make it look mostly stock. https://imgur.com/gallery/xYdHgs3

And here is a reset on a F363 where the neck was already coming loose. I didn't bother getting it super clean because the guitar itself wasn't worth much to begin with. https://imgur.com/gallery/LHz2JIx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:35 am 

Thanks but Wow. Goodtime Charlie's got the blues when it comes to Take neck resets. I was considering the bridge re-sanding as a option,. but I think I'll leave well enough alone based upon your great info,. Thanks.