Takamine Forum

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: P4DC Review
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:11 am 

I bought a P4DC about 6 weeks ago and named him Jerry Guitarcia. He's awesome.

I gig live 4-5 times per week and have also been in the studio nearly every day so I'm working the new guitar pretty hard! I had been really wanting a guitar with a rich, warm sound because I play rhythm in a duo with another guitarist so needed a strong, low end to fill out the sound but I also play in a 4-piece band so need the sound to cut through the mix there as well. I was originally looking for a mahongany body to get the sound I wanted until I came across this one with the Cool Tube.

CTP-3 Cool Tube preamp- it took me a while to get used to this sounding just right. The Cool Tube gives the guitar such a big, warm sound while keeping the strings sounding really clear and precise - my old acoustic sounds fuzzy plugged in now compared to this. I mostly use it for strumming although it sounds amazing when fingerpicked. I find I get the best sound when I set all the levels on the board to 0 and adjust on the guitar itself. My favourite setting is to have the bass boosted quite a bit, the mids and high end just under the middle (although I boost the high end slightly for certain songs) and the Cool Tube cranked about 3/4 of the way up.

Body size is obviously big. As a girl playing guitar, I do find it a bit harder to wrap my arm around then my last guitar but I just love the big sound I'm getting with the dreadnought body size so it's worth getting used to.

Neck size is also a bit large for me. In the past, I've chosen guitars with neck thickness in mind because I have small hands (Yamaha APX necks are ideal but I don't care for the sound lost with the thin body). I find it slightly more difficult to play barre chords which isn't something I've had to give consideration to for years.

Playability - the guitar came just about perfectly set up. At first, I thought the action was set a bit too low for my playing style as I was getting a few strings buzzing on the frets when I played hard but I changed to a heavier string and it seems to have solved the problem.

All in all, I love this guitar! It sounds amazing in the studio and onstage, feels great to play and has definitely become a fast favourite of mine :)