Takamine Forum

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Takamine P2DC review
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:08 pm 

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to guitar, been playing/learning for about two years, and I finally decided to buy myself a nice guitar. After exhaustively trying and obsessing over many acoustics of various brands and body shapes (Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, Guild), I found myself continually returning to the Takamine dreadnoughts. Something about them spoke to me, and at the end of the day, I decided on a Takamine P2DC.

In short, I really like this guitar a lot. I mostly strum with a little arpeggio, and I'm surprised at the wide variety of rich clean sounds I can get from the P2DC -- depending on the thickness of the pick, how firmly I hold it, and how hard I strum.

Just holding it, I feel like I'm craddling an artfully crafted item made of top quality wood. Fretting and strumming feels richer and thicker than less expensive guitars ... almost buttery, if that makes any sense. The materials and craftsmanship are top notch. Everything looks just great, beautiful wood and stain, completely flawless.

Strumming all strings with one fast light stroke I get a nice gleaming sound, gentle picking I get a nice ringy tone, and with a firm hand I get a full deep tone.

I love the ringyness and I love the fullness. For my taste, this guitar is the perfect middle ground between "too bright" and "too deep".

I don't know how it compares size wise, I didn't measure or compare with others -- but overall the guitar feels substantial. It's a handful, the neck feels a little beefy, but not too big, the frets feel a little larger than I'm used to, but all of this might just be my perception as I wasn't used to playing a dread.

I can say that after several months of playing with it, my Epiphone Les Paul feels like childs play. The Epi's smaller size and light strings are like nothing after playing the Tak. So I think in that sense playing the Tak dread is making me a better overall player.

I mostly like to play 80s/90s new wave and post-punk and general jangly guitar pop. Whether it's The Smiths, The Police, The Sundays, The Pretenders, Tom Petty, or Weezer, this guitar sounds perfect to my ears.

I'm very happy with my purchase, and the more I play it the more I like it, I just can't seem to put it down.

Recommended!

Post subject: Re: Takamine P2DC review
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:39 pm 

UPDATE:

Here's a photo album, pictures of the guitar by the shop who sold it to me ...

http://imgur.com/a/MNt8r

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:36 pm 

Thanks for the review. Nice to hear of another satisfied Takamine player!

That's a beautiful instrument that you seem to have bonded with nicely! May you have a lifetime of enjoyment with it.

EF75 #82
TNV360 S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:32 am 

Congratulations on a beautiful guitar! I'm glad to see that this guitar shares the consistency and playability that is common to all Japanese made Takamines.

http://www.youtube.com/glbpro - Guitar and Preamp review videos!