Takamine Forum

It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: EF360SC review
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:19 pm 

Initial caveats;

I am a hobbyist, don't play live, and am FAR from being an expert.
The above said, here is my quick review of the new birthday present I bought for myself.

Thoughts on the buying experience:

As I said this was an early birthday present. I figured that, since was one of those "signature" birthdays (won't say which one because I'll just cry) and I had saved up that I deserved a treat.

Trundled up to the local, not quite Mom & Pop but also not Guitar Center music store just to have a look see for either a Martin or a Taylor.

I currently have (in the acoustic dept) a Crafter thin body nylon POS, a Celebrity CK047-FKOA (very nice guitar for the price), and a Breedlove Atlas Solo J350/CM (Solid cedar top and laminate hog back and sides) for the money the Breedlove is a very nice guitar with LOADS of sustain and tone but it does have its limitations. All of this to say I was suffering from a serious spruce top jones thing.

The shop had a special going on, 44% off of Taks and Ovations but I was still dead set on Martin or Taylor.

Long story short, after spending 4 1/2 hours playing it came down to two guitars (if I'm spending this much I'm taking some time). It was between a special edition 516 with a spruce top and Koa back and sides and the EF360. To be honest the Taylor felt a bit nicer, looked a bit nicer but it comes down to the sound doesn't it? The Tak played almost as well and sounded just as good at over half the price (the D-28 Marquis sounded and played AMAZING but was way out of my range). I walked out with the Tak and some spending money for lessons and couldn't be happier.

Now to the short and sweet stuff...

The guitar:

Fit and finish is excellent, a tad of bearclaw in the spruce and the Indian Rosewood has a dark chocolate color that is just sweet but hard to see unless you are holding the guitar. Not too overstated but ver nice looking guitar.

Tone: To be honest, the Breedlove sounds a bit better in some situations and there are reasons for that (Cedar/Hog, JLB truss system, older so it has opened up more) UNTIL you start digging in and taking it to it with heavy strumming and flatpicking. The Breed seems to break up tonally when you really dig into it but the Tak keeps telling me "is that all you got wimp?". Plugged up this thing sings!

Initially I though the action was too high (and it is) however part of that was 6 months of playing for maybe 4 hrs a week on tweaked guitars then playing for hours in the shop, then playing as soon as I got home. I have no issues with playing the Tak with 12s on it now and I think I will even pass on dropping the gauge to 11s.

In short:

For what I spent this is a fantastic guitar. Compared to the Taylor (at 2X the price) it was a no brainer. Had I went to a bigger store I could have browsed more and maybe been luckier but I am quite happy with this little lady right here!

Post subject: Re: EF360SC review
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:42 pm 

Glad you're happy with it, Dad. You deserve it.

('course I think we all deserve a nice guitar for our money)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:26 am 

DR,
Ya' done good Bro!
Happy birthday. Mine's in a couple days and I'm crying with you for the same reason!

Blues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:31 am 

DaddyRabbit wrote:

Tone: To be honest, the Breedlove sounds a bit better in some situations and there are reasons for that (Cedar/Hog, JLB truss system, older so it has opened up more) UNTIL you start digging in and taking it to it with heavy strumming and flatpicking. The Breed seems to break up tonally when you really dig into it but the Tak keeps telling me "is that all you got wimp?". Plugged up this thing sings!

Thanks for the review! I completely agree with the above observation, and I think that if you could own two guitars, one should be Cedar/Mahogany and the other Spruce/Rosewood. I have this combination in the form of an ETN40C and a TSF48C. The ETN40C is a wonderful warm-sounding guitar which is excellent for fingerstyle and light to medium strumming - the sound just seems to jump out of the guitar! On the other hand the TSF48C is a powerhouse with loads of volume and projection and the bright top end sparkle + low end kick in the pants that you get from spruce/rosewood.

Fortunately with Takamine's excellent prices it's actually possible to own two of their pro series models for less than the price of a single high end Martin, Taylor or Gibson. And that has got to be a good thing :mrgreen:

Congratulations on your purchase, hope your new guitar inspires you to take your playing to a new level!

http://www.youtube.com/glbpro - Guitar and Preamp review videos!