Takamine Forum

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Picked up my new EF340SCGN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:26 am 

I originally was looking for an EG341SC similar to my friends as it fit my budget...then I did some browsing and found a sweet deal on a Japanese Pro-series for not much more money....so I took the plunge and I'm down on the coast of Oregon after having picked it up last Friday near Portland (why don't Canadian Music shops have such great deals)

I must say this EF340SCGN is the nicest guitar I have ever played. The tone is absolutely beautiful and the action is perfect. The Asymmetrical neck seems to fit my hand like they used me for a mold. Having the built in tuner makes for a quick tune check without digging out more equipment. And I love the nutmeg finish...got that warm New Mexico feel.

I am just getting back to playing after many years and I am having difficulty putting this guitar down. It's so easy to play. It makes me realize how badly my 72 Yamaki Folk Deluxe needs to visit a skilled luthier for a set-up.

Thank You Takamine

Post subject: Re: Picked up my new EF340SCGN
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:25 pm 

Congratulations! I agree that the SCGN models are great guitars and incredible value for money. It's great that when other guitar makers appear to be moving more and more of their production overseas and jacking the prices of their domestically-produced models sky high, Takamine is actually producing *more* affordable made-in-Japan guitars which are of professional fit and finish. They appear to understand that people are willing to pay more for quality, and that *where* something is made really does matter!

http://www.youtube.com/glbpro - Guitar and Preamp review videos!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:26 pm 

Yes glbpro, you are 100% correct. I was ready to jump into a G series China manufactured guitar until I started doing some research on the model differences. I browsed my way into this one on sale for only $200 more than the G series and gave the shop owner a call. The difference in sound and feel are amazing and I was happy to pay a bit more for the quality.

Turned out to be a good excuse for a road trip down to Portland to pick her up, over to the Oregon Coast and back up through the Cascades where I am at the moment...perfect settings to become acquainted with my new precious. I am a very happy camper this week.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:39 pm 

Great to hear that! I know the feeling very well :mrgreen:

The first thing I would recommend you do is get rid of the stock plastic bridge pins and replace them with something more substantial. I would recommend the TUSQ pins from graphtech but anything is better than the plastic. It DOES make a difference, and they certainly look better than the stock ones.

Happy playing!

http://www.youtube.com/glbpro - Guitar and Preamp review videos!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:28 am 

glbpro wrote:
Great to hear that! I know the feeling very well :mrgreen:

The first thing I would recommend you do is get rid of the stock plastic bridge pins and replace them with something more substantial. I would recommend the TUSQ pins from graphtech but anything is better than the plastic. It DOES make a difference, and they certainly look better than the stock ones.

Happy playing!

Thanks for the tip...I'll look into new bridge pins when it come time to change the strings :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:19 pm 

I bought one of these when they first came out.I was deciding between this and a Martin for twice the money.I came from a USA Taylor and was tired of the accentuated high timbre of the Taylor. I did the bridge pin swap thing with tusq and bone sets. I think I would have been fine to leave the originals pins in.One didn`t work out at all tone wise and the other just brought it back to the original tone with the plastic pins. i don`t know if it`s the snake oil thing or my lack of experience doing it with several guitars this time but it did not make much diff for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:45 am 

trebor wrote:
I bought one of these when they first came out.I was deciding between this and a Martin for twice the money.I came from a USA Taylor and was tired of the accentuated high timbre of the Taylor. I did the bridge pin swap thing with tusq and bone sets. I think I would have been fine to leave the originals pins in.One didn`t work out at all tone wise and the other just brought it back to the original tone with the plastic pins. i don`t know if it`s the snake oil thing or my lack of experience doing it with several guitars this time but it did not make much diff for me.

Interesting thanks...I never got around to changing them and I am happy with the sound as it is so I might hold off. I think the guitar sounds great out of the box but my old ears are not what they used to be. :)