Takamine Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: TAKAMINE EF 370 SH - PRO 6 PICTURES AND DATA REQUEST
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:55 pm 

HELLO TO YOU,

- THE GUITAR I OWN IS A TAKAMINE EF 370SH/PRO6 AND I HAVE HAD LITTLE LUCK FINDING ANYTHING OUT ABOUT ITS HISTORY, SO AM HOPING SOMEONE HAS SOME INSIGHT INTO THIS GUITAR. THANKFULLY THE THREADS HERE HAVE HELPED TO EXPLAIN THE MODEL NUMBER ETC AND THAT "370" DESIGNATES IT AS A LAWSUIT ERA GUITAR (ALSO EVIDENCED BY THE "MARTIN" STYLE CURSIVE SCRIPT ON THE HEAD STOCK). THE LETTER "S" MEANING SOLID TOP, BUT I HAVE NOT FOUND WHAT THE "H" STANDS FOR OR IF "PRO 6" MEANS ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT. THE SIDES ARE LAMINATED BUT THE BACK APPEARS TO BE A SOLID PIECE, NOT LAMINATE.

- THE GUITAR WAS CRAFTED ON THE 5TH AUGUST 1982 (THIS DATE IS STAMPED ON A TRUSS JUST INSIDE THE SOUND HOLE). I BOUGHT THE GUITAR IN 1994 (NOT SURE HOW MANY OWNERS IN BETWEEN). STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL TAKAMINE HARD CASE. SERIAL NUMBER IS: 82081929. I HAVE FOUND THREADS ON THE FORUM EXPLAINING THE SERIAL NUMBER SEQUENCE WHICH WAS HELPFUL. THANK YOU! THEY MADE A FEW GUITARS THAT MONTH :)

- SOMETHING UNUSUAL IS THE NUMBERS INLAID INTO THE NECK INSTEAD OF THE TRADITIONAL DOTS. THESE ARE MADE FROM MOTHER OF PEARL. THE TUNING KEYS ARE LABELLED BOTH "TAKAMINE" & "KAMAN". THERE WAS SOME WRITING ON THE PICK GUARD AT SOME POINT. THIS WAS REMOVED BEFORE I EVER SAW THE GUITAR. IT HAS BEEN RUBBED OFF BUT COULD STILL MAKE OUT LETTERS. SAID SOMETHING LIKE “LAZY HARRY” (THIS MAY HAVE BEEN DONE BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER). FACTORY EQ AND PICKUP INSTALLED.

- I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET ANY DATA FROM THE COMPANY AS THEIR RECORDS ARE NOT IN TIP TOP CONDITION PER EMAILS RECEIVED WHEN ENQUIRING. SUPPLIERS IN THE AREA I LIVE AREN’T ABLE TO SHED ANY LIGHT EITHER.

- IT IS DUE FOR SOME RESTORATION WORK (OVERDUE) AND ANY TIPS TO GUIDE ME ALONG THIS PATH WOULD BE APPRECIATED AS I DON'T WANT TO RUIN THE INTRICATE INLAYS ETC.

- THE GUITAR SOUNDS RICH & WARM WITH BEAUTIFUL TREBLE TONE COMING THROUGH AND LUSH SUSTAIN. IT IS A BEAUTIFUL GUITAR FOR BOTH SOFT AND LOUDER PLAYING STYLES. I USE HEAVIER GAUGE STRINGS ON THIS (12s).

- SEE PHOTOS BELOW AND LOOK FORWARD TO ANY NEW INFO THAT MAY BE KNOWN ABOUT THIS GUITAR.

REGARDS IAN

LINK TO PICTURES: http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/XVAZO ... t=3&page=1

Post subject: Re: TAKAMINE EF 370 SH - PRO 6 PICTURES AND DATA REQUEST
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:25 pm 

H is for Herringbone.

Numbers inlaid instead of dots has me confused. This may be where the Pro6 comes in, but athst a new one on me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:48 am 

Thanks for the reply.

Clears one more mystery up with the letter 'H' now solved.

Yeah, almost everyone who has seen it goes "Numbers...? WTF?? that's unique!".

Would you care to estimate its value??

Appreciate your time!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:26 am 

Thats always a loaded question Kully. Generally its worth what someone is willing to pay. That being said I have seen the normal F 370 SH guitars go for over $700. Photobucket finally let me see your pictures and I can tell you I have never seen numbers inlaid like that. The back has a nice book end finish to it. Little wear, no major scratches and scuffs. I assume the electronics all work. I wouldnt post it for less than $1500. Might take me a bit but I will look into the Pro 6 side and see if I cant come up with something more for you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:10 pm 

Hey, know what you mean by loaded question!

The electrics work fine and are quite nice in terms of sound quality. I run it through a JC 120 and it is bright and sunny!

Yeah, the numbers are very interesting. If it has been an after market job, then the craftsmanship is superb. Very tight fit.

I have posted on ebay in the past for $800 and had some lookers, but people were wary not knowing the history of this guitar in terms of being a run of the mill model (so wanting it cheaper) or being actually something special.

I will never sell it, its the example of a fine wine. In the 20 odd years I have owned this, it just keeps getting better. I would like to give it a freshen up in terms of finish (lacquer has started to come away from the lower edge of the sound hole) and the action etc. Would love to do this myself as well but fear not doing it correctly!

Again, appreciate your input.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:07 pm 

Hi Ian,
A friend of mine has a Takamine guitar exactly like yours except it says Pro 8 instead Pro 6. Mother of Pearl numbering on fret board and serial number 82081930 so his guitar was made just after yours. Des, my friend has some problems navigating this Forum, so would it be possible for you to ring me please here in Brisbane Australia on 07 3343 9663 or 0406014 1953. He would love to talk to you and show you pics of his Takamine EF 370 SH Pro 8.
Pasting a few words from Des here.
Hi Kully,
            Well, well, well.......PHEW!! Maybe you will appreciate our relief and excitement in finding your information.Thank you.
            We have spent months searching for information in relation to our ´´pride and joy´´. Takamine not offering any assistance.

The Serial Number 82081929 registers a close relationship...twins!! PRO 8 number is intriguing!! I purchased it in Toowoomba Qld in 1982, $1,100. The ´´man´´ played me four acoustics and to my ear this, (to me, rather odd looking unit, numbers on neck....hmmm!!), was sweet music. Today it sounds even sweeter. Not in as good condition as yours, but I was advised to leave it as is, indicating the authenticity. (Slightly embarrassed, but it was and still is, played on a daily basis.) It has been ´´serviced´´ a couple of times, electrics etc.

In the 36 years since purchase, I have only seen one other, in a restaurant in the Whitsundays, Qld, a solo musician happily singing along to a very neat sounding Takamine. I still wish I had gone up said,´´g´day mate´´. (about 1984)

I have found Spectrum SB111, Thomastik-infeld, Vienna to be the best strings.

Cheers,
              dezz

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 pm 

Kully, Dezz, do either of you have Facebook ? I'd like to get both of you in the group with pictures and let some of the older Takamine guys take a look at what you have. Let me know. I will drop the link to the group here and hope to try find some answers because aside from being told some weird stories ( these were ordered as a guitar for teaching ), we could maybe get some answers.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TakamineGuitars/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:34 am 

G'day Dezz and The Fat Guy!

Fancy that, yours being the next in line!! And both in Australia!

But Pro 8??
0466901820 is my number. I'm busy till the late afternoon tomorrow (Sunday) so will call after.

Will look up the strings you mention. Just put some Martin M140s on so will give me time to source them.

I know what you mean in trying to find data on this guitar. Takamine has not kept good records and all the "experts" outside of this forum just shrug their shoulders. I am looking forward to getting on the Facebook page to see what is known.

Sure Dezz. Have sent a request to the admins and will post some pics once approved.

Teaching guitar yeah? Could explain the numbers, but an odd thing to do considering that every other guitar on the planet has dots or some other method!