Takamine Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: EAN40C saddle question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:15 am 

What is the overall string spacing at the SADDLE supposed to be on an EAN40C ???

I restrung mine for the first time last night and there are no grooves in the saddle, so I kinda just let the strings go where they wanted when I tightened to tension, but now it feels weird to me when I fingerpick.....string spacing has definitely changed.

How do I get it back to where it is supposed to be ??...Do I measure the string spacing at the bridge and make sure saddle spacings are the same??

Post subject: Re: EAN40C saddle question
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:21 am 

just move them back to where they feel comfortable. That should be pretty much a straight line from the hole to the nut.

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; a couple others

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:05 am 

Beal wrote:
just move them back to where they feel comfortable. That should be pretty much a straight line from the hole to the nut.

What is the overall string spacing at the SADDLE (And or Bridge) supposed to be on an EAN40C ???

Are you saying it's whatever I want it be ??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:32 pm 

Soooooooo...can I set the strings on the saddle wherever I want and ignore the spacing on the bridge??

Anyone? (besides Beal)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:44 pm 

If it's a 6 string EAN 40C it's got a 1 11/16" nut
If it's a 12 string it's 1 7/8"

Natural Series EAN10C, 20C, 40C, 70C 1 - 11/16 inch
EAN30C, 60C 1 - 7/8
EAN40C 12-string 1 - 7/8

It's probably your imagination that things have changed. Did you go to a heavier or lighter string?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:18 am 

darkbarguitar wrote:
If it's a 6 string EAN 40C it's got a 1 11/16" nut
If it's a 12 string it's 1 7/8"

Natural Series EAN10C, 20C, 40C, 70C 1 - 11/16 inch
EAN30C, 60C 1 - 7/8
EAN40C 12-string 1 - 7/8

It's probably your imagination that things have changed. Did you go to a heavier or lighter string?

Exact same brand of strings it came with....Could be my imagination (which to me makes it my actual reality whether imagined or not) but I digress.........

Thanks for the info on the nut widths, but I was actually asking about SADDLE string spacing...

I assume it should be same as the string holes on the bridge, which I measured last night and is barely 2 1/8" center to center on high and Low E. VERY tight!! String spacing at the saddle now mirrors the bridge string spacing

For what it's worth, yes, the nut is 1 11/16", but more importantly, the distance center to center on high and low E strings is barely 1 7/16" (actually "1 3/8" fat" as we called it my carpentry days)..... Also very tight

This guitar was marketed as being good for fingerstyle players, and while the Cedar top and bracing DOES make for a very responsive top, the tight string spacing would probably not work for lots of fingerstylists.

I have adapted quite nicely to it as I learned to fingerpick on a Dread with similar string spacing.

Onward.........Next restring will be some Martin PB's, uncoated....then some uncoated Martin 80/20's....maybe then give John Pearse a try.....etc....fun stuff

This is the first "nice" / "good" acoustic guitar I have ever owned by the way. Having this guitar, plus great info from this and a couple of other guitar forums have taught me more about acoustic guitars in the past few months than I knew in all my 35 years of playing guitar......from humidity concerns to proper break angles to slotted versus unslotted pin holes to nut slots.....

Thanks for all the help folks!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:52 pm 

Sqeeze,
The EAN40C has a pinless bridge. If you have the strings threaded through the proper holes in the bridge, over the saddle and through the proper grooves in the nut with proper tuned tension on the strings they will have to be straight and true as designed. The exception to this is if the saddle has worn slightly to the point of string indentations the string will lay in the groves. Bear in mind if the saddle has worn to this extent (not likely with bone unless you have played the guitar excessively) the indentations will also be in a straight line with the bridge holes and the nut grooves so "no foul" there. The only possible way to reduce the space between the strings is by using heavier strings which by nature are thicker in diameter this reducing the space between them. In this case the string spacing will not be changed if the spacing is measured center to center on the strings only the distance between the edges of the strings. Yes?

Best,

Blues