Takamine Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can anyone date my Takamine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:10 am 

I've just acquired a very nice Left Handed G Series EG330SLH. I know it was built in Taiwan, but I can't tell from the serial number when it was manufactured. The S/N looks like QJI107175 and it is printed onto the cross support just under the start of the neck where the truss starts. Can anyone help with dating it? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Can anyone date my Takamine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:54 pm 

Bring it flowers and ask it to dinner, that might get you a date.

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; a couple others

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:49 am 

Take a look at the serial nr. You can see the date of production in this nr!
http://www.takamine.com/dating

Pro Series Models Japanese-built Takamine Pro Series guitars can be reliably dated from the eight-digit serial numbers typically found at the neck block inside the instruments. The first two digits designate the year of manufacture, followed by two digits denoting the month. The remaining four digits denote the instrument’s sequential number of manufacture among all the instruments made during the month indicated. For example, serial number 07100091 indicates a guitar built in 2007 (07), in October of that year (10), and that it was the 91st guitar made that month (0091). Similarly, serial number 09050112 indicates the 112th guitar made during May 2009. In mid/late 2012, US distributed Japanese-built guitars switched to the year designation that guitars distributed in Japan use. See below for the formula used to tell the year of manufacture. - See more at: http://www.takamine.com/dating#sthash.N8RHrT0N.dpuf

Japanese-made Takamine models distributed in Japan have their own serial-numbering scheme that can be used to reliably date them. In these eight-digit numbers, the first two digits signify the number of years since Takamine’s establishment in 1962. The following two digits denote the month, and the remaining four digits denote the instrument’s sequential number of manufacture among all the instruments made during the month indicated. For example, serial number 46090002 indicates a guitar built in 2008 (1962 plus 46 years), in September of that year (09), and that it was the second guitar made that month (0002). Similarly, serial number 49110033 indicates the 33rd guitar made during November 2011. - See more at: http://www.takamine.com/dating#sthash.N8RHrT0N.dpuf

Or you can contact them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:16 am 

cheke wrote:
Take a look at the serial nr. You can see the date of production in this nr!
http://www.takamine.com/dating

Pro Series Models Japanese-built Takamine Pro Series guitars can be reliably dated from the eight-digit serial numbers typically found at the neck block inside the instruments. The first two digits designate the year of manufacture, followed by two digits denoting the month. The remaining four digits denote the instrument’s sequential number of manufacture among all the instruments made during the month indicated. For example, serial number 07100091 indicates a guitar built in 2007 (07), in October of that year (10), and that it was the 91st guitar made that month (0091). Similarly, serial number 09050112 indicates the 112th guitar made during May 2009. In mid/late 2012, US distributed Japanese-built guitars switched to the year designation that guitars distributed in Japan use. See below for the formula used to tell the year of manufacture. - See more at: http://www.takamine.com/dating#sthash.N8RHrT0N.dpuf

Japanese-made Takamine models distributed in Japan have their own serial-numbering scheme that can be used to reliably date them. In these eight-digit numbers, the first two digits signify the number of years since Takamine’s establishment in 1962. The following two digits denote the month, and the remaining four digits denote the instrument’s sequential number of manufacture among all the instruments made during the month indicated. For example, serial number 46090002 indicates a guitar built in 2008 (1962 plus 46 years), in September of that year (09), and that it was the second guitar made that month (0002). Similarly, serial number 49110033 indicates the 33rd guitar made during November 2011. - See more at: http://www.takamine.com/dating#sthash.N8RHrT0N.dpuf

Or you can contact them.

Hi Cheke,
Thanks for the serious response and suggestions. Unfortunately, it doesn't help as my Guitar is one of the many G Series models. Takamine's website says that G Series don't conform to the Pro series S/n (manufacturing date) rules, and suggest emailing them. I did this well over two weeks ago, to their main address and then to their askus@takamine.com address last week, and I haven't had a response. I even tried their online form completion contact us, and phoned KORG, their distributor in the UK. All they could do was forward my request to Takamine direct. That was a week ago. sigh.......

What I believe is the serial number, doesn't comply to anything I can make sense of - Q J I 1 0 7 1 7 5. I know it was manufactured in Taiwan, and distributed by KAMAN in the US.

It's a lovely guitar and plays really well, so its really only a matter of curiosity that makes me want to find out its age. Any other help or suggestions would be much appreciate.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:26 am 

Idid a email to following adress
Takamine Q&A
email is:
info@takamineguitars.co.jp
You can ask if they can give you the email adress where you will get the answer to your questions.

Put this serial nr in the mail, also the pics of the inside with the paper with the type nrs on it and pics of your guitar.
Tell them you have to know for assurence what the worth is and what is the date of production to complete your file of assurence. They will take you serious.
Now for that sr nr it can be QJI what means??? but then: ???? 1 means 2001, 07 is July, 175 means that it was de 175th guitar made in that month , they will tell you!!
QJI107175
Askus@takamine.com mail did not work with me!
My Takamine TLE-D1 is 1 of 12 limited edition made for Europe!! So I couldn't find very mouch, just the specs! about that guitar but from Japan they gave me the info that it was exceptionally made for Europe in serie of 12 in the year 2012 , It has also a sticker inside from the 50th anniversary of Takamine and because you can't find prices of what it dit cost at that time and what the prices are now they gave me also a +/_ price for assurance. I bought mine second hands in a good music-store in Belgium a month ago. You will find more about your guitar ... succes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:21 am 

cheke wrote:
Idid a email to following adress
Takamine Q&A
email is:
info@takamineguitars.co.jp
You can ask if they can give you the email adress where you will get the answer to your questions.

Put this serial nr in the mail, also the pics of the inside with the paper with the type nrs on it and pics of your guitar.
Tell them you have to know for assurence what the worth is and what is the date of production to complete your file of assurence. They will take you serious.
Now for that sr nr it can be QJI what means??? but then: ???? 1 means 2001, 07 is July, 175 means that it was de 175th guitar made in that month , they will tell you!!
QJI107175
Askus@takamine.com mail did not work with me!
My Takamine TLE-D1 is 1 of 12 limited edition made for Europe!! So I couldn't find very mouch, just the specs! about that guitar but from Japan they gave me the info that it was exceptionally made for Europe in serie of 12 in the year 2012 , It has also a sticker inside from the 50th anniversary of Takamine and because you can't find prices of what it dit cost at that time and what the prices are now they gave me also a +/_ price for assurance. I bought mine second hands in a good music-store in Belgium a month ago. You will find more about your guitar ... succes

Hi, thanks for your suggestions. I did email Takamine Japan and explained about information required for Insurance. I actually did receive a reply, but all they said was that as that model has not been produced for over 10 years, they cannot provide any information. At least I know it is over 10 years old. For all I know I could have a very rare guitar, although I doubt it.

There must be a few of us out there with that particular model or the right handed equivalent, but there is very little on the Internet. I'll keep trying though. I have emailed KAMAN MUSIC in the US who distribute(d) Takamines, and mine has their label on it. Maybe they can help.

Any new ideas are welcome.
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:49 am 

Well what you can do.... is ask other owners of older G-serie Takamine's made in Taiwan if they know their date of producing. When they know the date and their sr nr it wil begins with the same nr as yours yo can be realy sure of the date. ... Wouldn't it??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:42 am 

cheke wrote:
Well what you can do.... is ask other owners of older G-serie Takamine's made in Taiwan if they know their date of producing. When they know the date and their sr nr it wil begins with the same nr as yours yo can be realy sure of the date. ... Wouldn't it??

Another good idea. Thanks Cheke

I'll start a new post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:19 pm 

Try that approach. Kaman Music was nuked by fender last year and sold. Now JAM from Canada owns KMC but all the people from Kaman are gone. Headquarters was moved. Hard to say what info they still have. Most of the focus was on the high line. The Korean and Taiwan production was whatever

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; a couple others

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:00 am 

If you're looking for dates of the manufacturing sometimes the FB Takaminie forum..very fine forum respectfull persons like Darren Washen can help..
Was just reading this again.. and found a Youtube from this type.. Not the left handed , but it should be the same type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH8EJbM ... tarlancer..
from Lance Allen