Takamine Forum

It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Takamine New Ltd Edition the Blue Rose
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:04 pm 

Any comments on the New 2021 Takamine Ltd Edition. See it now on the ESPTakamine web site...

My only thought is why are they using Sapele.
Taylor and Martin use this wood in their low end guitars and promote it for beginners. Ref: Search Sapele...
It's ok for sound, but I would think that a special once a year guitar would be high quality tone woods all the way.
Ref: The 50th anniversary and it's bling.
The guitar is nice, but 32 hundred turned me off. If you don't hang that guitar on the wall how long will that fretboard last? Cloth infused roses.
I understand guitar makers are trying to go green due to pressure of the tree huggers, but
it's just making the used market explode with Rosewood and other fine guitar tone woods.
Before anyone says can you do better go back to the Santa Fe lines of Takamine and they beat the last few years of the Ltd.'s....
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I am just a little disappointed in the guitars being made by all manufacturers now.
Will the public come into line with what's politically correct or reject the market?
I like the color though....If you are in love with it that's ok. Just not for me two years in a row...
Then again it's none of my business what they do...I just vote with my pocket book.
Thank you, Thank you very muchhhhh...

Post subject: Re: Takamine New Ltd Edition the Blue Rose
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

I think the truth is that they don't know how to make a guitar that can acoustically compete with the 340 or 360 SBG models. So they come up with something "Artsy" that will appeal to enough people based on its cosmetics to keep the LTD series going for another year. The 2021 is a nice enough guitar but not one that I personally desire to own.

Not to be sexist, but I think the whole blue rose thing makes it kind of a "chick" guitar. Maybe that's why they made it a short scale?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:21 pm 

I didn't even think about the "Chick" guitar concept.
Not to knock the ladies, but that would give it some appeal.
Maybe they should have a input on their site and see what people would like
in a great guitar that they would buy, and it would be worth keeping and collecting.
We love the Takamine's and with todays technology and talented designers out there
the guitar should top anything in the world for playability and ascetic's.
Maybe next year.

OF course we don't want all suggestions turning into an Edsel....lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:17 am 

I think Sapele deserves a bit more respect. It looks great, works easily, is stable and sounds quite nice if treated properly by the builder.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:53 am 

Nothing wrong with Sapele per say. Sounds great. No disrespect...
Some just expect a more exotic wood or woods on a Ltd Showcase model.
But to each his own...let them eat cake...

Note the key word in the below paragraph... Will be around for a long time compared to other woods...
The public just has to get used to it. As some would band all woods for instruments while letting the furniture company's wreck havoc on the trees.
Then again you can buy on the used market. But you better hurry if you are young enough to enjoy those guitars for many years. Your future retirement investment.
Average price from competitors in all solid Sapele woods...$1500

From a competitors web site...
An alternative tone wood that joined the ****** fold over a decade ago. It’s sometimes mistakenly referred to as African mahogany because it closely resembles the West African wood khaya, which is commercially known as African mahogany. Sapele is a highly sustainable, relatively fast-growing wood. Tonally, it does everything that mahogany does, with a little extra treble zing. We’ll be able to offer it for a long, long time.

Buy low sell high....keep playing in between...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:36 pm 

I'd go along with Tacky's comments
Mr Twang, hope you're doing well

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; a couple others