Takamine Forum

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Neck and fret sizes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:01 pm 

Hello folks,

I have some questions that hopefully would answered by some member have knowledge about.
I read things on that forum about Takamine neck sizes get thicker on lately, when did this change happen around,there's not any dealer in near to check it myself. I wonder if necks on current models thicker or not compared to my 2004 AN10.

My second question about fret sizes, do they have same sized frets on older models, especially ones around earlier to mid '90s. Sometimes I saw bigger frets on the ones for sale online, of course a refret is a strong possibility.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Neck and fret sizes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:25 pm 

bahadir wrote:
Hello folks,

I have some questions that hopefully would answered by some member have knowledge about.
I read things on that forum about Takamine neck sizes get thicker on lately, when did this change happen around,there's not any dealer in near to check it myself. I wonder if necks on current models thicker or not compared to my 2004 AN10.

My second question about fret sizes, do they have same sized frets on older models, especially ones around earlier to mid '90s. Sometimes I saw bigger frets on the ones for sale online, of course a refret is a strong possibility.

Thanks in advance.

I think that if you joined the Takamine guitars Facebook page there are many more informed members there who may be able to help you

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:47 pm 

Thanks for advice, but even that information not enough to make a Facebook user.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:58 pm 

bahadir wrote:
Thanks for advice, but even that information not enough to make a Facebook user.

I don't really understand what you mean in your post - but here is the Facebook page link just in case.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TakamineGuitars/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:41 pm 

slick wrote:
bahadir wrote:

I don't really understand what you mean in your post - but here is the Facebook page link just in case.

Very clearly I don't use Facebook. Don't have an account and don't want to have one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:16 pm 

bahadir wrote:
slick wrote:
bahadir wrote:

Very clearly I don't use Facebook. Don't have an account and don't want to have one.

OK - each to his own

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:27 am 

bahadir wrote:

LMAO, you'd be surprised. I've managed to convince a few to join just for the group alone. Then you leave all the negative crap that Fakebook provides and just enjoy the group.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:50 am 

bahadir wrote:
Hello folks,

Thanks in advance.

As per fret sizes, Takamine says they havent changed them BUT, I know on some new models, the frets themselves are thinner. The crown isnt as high. Not sure why, but it happened.

As per your first question, what are we talking here ? Many things have to be taken into account. Different models use different necks. You have nut width, neck thickness and profile itself, which can make all the difference.

2004 AN10 is a neck I am very used to and comfortable with. Compare that to something similar, like the P3DC and you will find the P3 to be thinner feeling. Where the necks USED to be shaped by hand, the new ones are CNC'd to specs and then finished by hand. This made for more consistency across the board but you lose a little of the human touch as well. Not sure when they got their CNC machine. The new G series, to me, feels more like your AN10. The new Pro series have a sleeker feeling to them.