Takamine Forum

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ordering Takamine Custom Shop?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:56 am 

I'm wondering if that possibility exists, I read something about it here in the past that you can order a custom one in Japan, but not sure if that's a full option.
I thought it could be awesome to get the perfect guitar like that, I always like the Tak bluegrass/dreadnought guitars and I think it's too bad they don't make them much anymore. They used to have one with madagascar rosewood and adirondak spruce which seems awesome, but didn't exist for long and was quite more expensive (a custom shop would be too but ok).
I thought a guitar like that combined with that new thermal top, and some personal preferences would be awesome...

Post subject: Re: Ordering Takamine Custom Shop?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, previously you could order a custom build through an authorized Takamine dealer. Don't know if this option still exists, but if it does I would assume the protocol would be similar. So I would start by asking your local Takamine dealer since that's where the ball would start rolling.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:06 pm 

Tacky wrote:
Yes, previously you could order a custom build through an authorized Takamine dealer. Don't know if this option still exists, but if it does I would assume the protocol would be similar. So I would start by asking your local Takamine dealer since that's where the ball would start rolling.

I know Martin and probably Taylor have those shops too, can do that online for a Martin but they are, as you can expect, extremely pricey... I think for a Tak it would still be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:53 am 
Site Admin

The Takamine Custom Order webpage is active, but it's not clear if those can only be ordered in Japan or worldwide. Again best to check with your dealer.

I did one custom order back in 2009 when Takamine was still US distributed by Kaman Music. Lost Art Vintage was my dealer and the process was painless. The customization was pretty minimal from the standard model (just a different pickguard, different neck finish and different tuners). I don't remember the price but the leadtime was just a few months. Unfortunately I don't think Lost Art Vintage is still dealing with Takamine (distributed by ESP).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:57 am 

Al has a BG model with the toriffied top. Rosewood, Buy that one, good price. (it's mine and Al is selling it)

Adi/Madi BG; EF75#71; a couple others

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Beal wrote:
Al has a BG model with the toriffied top. Rosewood, Buy that one, good price. (it's mine and Al is selling it)

Yup, that's a good one indeed. I have same guitar with the mahog b/s and it's stellar.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:00 am 

Beal wrote:

Cool, but does it have adirondack and madagascar rosewood too? Cuz that seems to be a great improvement as well, then you must have a booming guitar just like the prewar Martins, but obviously a newly built guitar will be much better still for build quality etc...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:33 am 

No, no madi. There were supposed to be several made but Fender chickened out and refused to import them.

Tacky, I have the 340 as well and I shaved the braces, it shouts now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 pm 

Beal wrote:
No, no madi. There were supposed to be several made but Fender chickened out and refused to import them.

Tacky, I have the 340 as well and I shaved the braces, it shouts now.

Nice, how does that guitar sounded compared to your Bg Madi? And does the thermal top makes a big/noticeable difference? These things interest me cuz such a guitar could really be the real deal :) saw yours for sale and it's indeed a bargain, but I'd have to pay another 300euros import taxes or so if I buy from there... Same like I had when buying my TF430SS...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:47 pm 

good question, I'll have to check on that

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:24 am 

Beal wrote:
good question, I'll have to check on that

You know it's really interesting cuz Takamine has really affordable guitars, and still they are manufactured very well. I love those pre-war sort of Martins, but they are so overexpensive (or overhyped) that it's not reasonable anymore... Saw that Martin D200 anniversary edition now, 150000$!! Lol, for that price it should be made of gold...

Tacky do you have the link to that custom shop from Takamine?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Takamine Custom Shop (they call them "Order Made" guitars) ...

https://www.takamineguitars.co.jp/products/order.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:39 pm 

I ordered my custom 760 through Al and worked closely with Mike Markure on the details. The downside on custom orders is that you generally pay a little more, but the upside is that you end up with exactly what you want. Mine has a gorgeous BC top that Mike personally selected and all the extra abalone purfling found on the GOO 80th Ltd Ed. I also added the Triax and use the Tak DI+ so the fine tuning tone possibilities seem endless. Funny story about this order . . . It arrived with the wrong end pin jack whick didn’t allow me to use the phantom power capability of the DI+. I complained to Mike about it and he said two custom guitars left the factory with the wrong end pin jack, but he only had one correct end pin which had been earmarked for the other customer. After I kept complaining, he relented and sent me the jack along with a sob story that he’d have some explaining to do to the other customer, who just happened to be Blake Shelton.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:48 pm 

Priceless story.

Hopefully Gwen eased the pain.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:02 pm 

That's funny. Thanks for sharing. I'm smiling from ear to ear.