Takamine Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Takamine TF341DLX or EF341DLX which do I have?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:30 am 

Question for those with more Takamine knowledge than me. Back in 2003 I bought my first Tak. The model number indicated in the sound hole is a TF341DLX. However, I have a suspicion that it is actually an EF341DLX.

Here are the two product descriptions on Takamine's website:

https://www.takamine.com/EF341DLX

https://www.takamine.com/TF341DLX

First off my guitar has the pearloid tuners, which is only shown in the EF341DLX's picture, based on the TF341DLX's picture they are plain chrome. Secondly, my Tak came with a CT4BII preamp not the CTP-2. I've read elsewhere that the only difference with the EF vs TF designation is that the TF comes with the cool tube preamp (could be false information), but based on the pictures it looks like the pearloid tuners are also a difference. Also, in the product descriptions above it states that the EF341DLX comes with a spruce top while the TF341DLX comes with a cedar top. Contrarily, I found a spec sheet (which for some reason I can't find right now, I'll try to link it later) which alludes to the EF341DLX and TF341DLX both having cedar tops.

So my question to those with either of these guitars, or knowledge of them, is what is the difference between the EF341DLX and TF341DLX and is it possible I have a EF341DLX labelled as a TF341DLX? I mainly want to know what top wood my guitar has, and I can't think of any way to determine this myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Takamine TF341DLX or EF341DLX which do I have?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Tuner buttons and Pre-amps are easily swappable. Did you buy it NEW ???

If the label/stamp inside says TF, then you have a TF. The buttons may have been swapped to pearloid and the preamp may have been swapped to CT4B.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:36 pm 

Tacky wrote:
Tuner buttons and Pre-amps are easily swappable. Did you buy it NEW ???

If the label/stamp inside says TF, then you have a TF. The buttons may have been swapped to pearloid and the preamp may have been swapped to CT4B.

Thanks for the reply. I bought it new in store, so can't see these things being switched out willy nilly. Also would just be odd that the only two defining characteristics of the guitar are switched with it's sister model haha.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:05 pm 

Here's the spec sheet which alludes to the EF341DLX and TF341DLX both having cedar tops:

https://busites-www.s3.amazonaws.com/ta ... LXspec.pdf

Not sure which is more trustworthy, the minimal product description on their website or this sheet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:22 pm 

Was checking some old Reverb sales for pictures of the EF341DLX and TF341DLX to see if I could spot any differences. Looks like both have the pearloid tuning machines, contrary to the pictures on Takamine's website. Based on that I'm inclined to believe that the shop I bought it from just swapped out the CTP-2 preamp for the CT-4BII before selling it to me :| .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:58 pm 

As the man said, if the stamp/label says TF , then its a TF. You can easily misread a stamp but the labels are pretty easily read.