Takamine Forum

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pro Series shims..where to buy?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:36 am 

I am trying to find shims for the split saddle of a an ENV460SC. I think that is a pro series. Any advice is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Pro Series shims..where to buy?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 pm 

Hello EJ, hope you're doing well.

The pro series models do not come with any shims installed from the factory - are you trying to raise the height of the action above stock? The reason is that any shims under the saddles may interfere with the coupling of the saddles to the metal strap which sits on top of the pickup elements.

Regards,
Bruno

http://www.youtube.com/glbpro - Guitar and Preamp review videos!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:56 pm 

Got er done. I shimmed it! Yes, I need to get the action up to stop buzzing and found on the net so much info about high/low actions, buzzing and the causes. Okay..no shims on my model? Then my luthier must have filed that saddle down sooo far that every molecule of that guitar better be stable or something is going to buzz....and that was kinda true.

I found either a shim, or just the underneath the saddle piece of metal in a bunch of gear. It was two metal strips with one end in a circle to receive a screw. Ahah...that is part of this guitar components. I released the strings, pulled up the split bridge pieces, popped in little metal strips in each saddle slot, put er back together and poof...buzz is gone BUT..hard on the fingers with the higher action. Played it for a week and thought I may get back my 70's callouses. Naaa..My RainSong plays so easily it was great to get off that Tak and back to my black guitar.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 pm 

Glad the problem is solved! Have you confirmed that your truss rod is set correctly? Sometimes buzzing can be related to that as well.

A couple of years ago I sent in my TSF48c (NEX body like yours) in to have the action lowered and my tech lowered it WAAAY too much, to the point where the tone was actually quite badly affected due to a lack of break-over angle at the saddles. Fortunately I had him keep the original saddles aside and make a new set for the lowered action. In the end I put the original saddles back in and lowered the action myself with much better results. Since then I've done all my action adjustments myself - all you need is a flat surface, some sandpaper and a lot of patience!

I agree that playability on most Takamines is average when compared to more modern guitars. They're braced relatively heavily and everything is slightly overbuilt, which is one reason why they are such great live/touring guitars and why they last so long. But yeah they can be a real handful to play.

Your ENV460SC is a really nice guitar - one of the few NEX models with the 45mm nut. All solid construction, ebony fingerboard and bridge - wonderful stuff!

Regards,
Bruno

http://www.youtube.com/glbpro - Guitar and Preamp review videos!